General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Electrical Problem!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 11:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Problem!?

ok so heres the issue, i have an LS2 in my miata, it has an 02 camaro harness/pcm. my buddy wired the fan backwards so the radiator was sucking hot air through the radiator so i simply wired the opposite way. well i diddnt have any issues immediate after that so i dont believe that to be the issue... just wanted to include that.

and on to the problem, i got in the car a few minutes later after starting it a few times... went to start it again and i saw smoke! hopped out and saw that a wire was burning, it was one of the grounds going to the back of the driver side head, i disconnected it, re-wraped it in electrical tape. could not find any direct reason it did that... bolted it back on. now my cars starter just clicks... ok strange, well went and got a new starter, installed it, same thing! i took a 24 socket and spunn the motor, no issues there. i took the starter off grounded it to the bell housing had my brother crank it again and the starter spun no problem.

that was pretty long but i wanted to put out everything i did today just incase i screwed up somewhere!
Old 05-21-2011, 08:29 AM
Teching In

***bump***
Old 05-21-2011, 09:51 AM
11 Second Club

On my TA, when I had a low battery, the ground from the driver side of the block to the frame rail started to smoke (had oil on it). It seemed as all the current from the starter was going through that ground. Might make sure it is there.

With the starter off the car it had no load so there was little current being pulled I would assume. Try making sure you have all the grounds you need. The negative terminal of the battery should be grounded to the chassis, block to the chassis, etc.