General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Alt not charging???? 98 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 06:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Alt not charging???? 98 Z28

about 2 mos ago i bought a brand new alt and installed a new battery, all was good everything was working great and then last night i went to leave work and after getting into it a little bit car shifted to 2nd and my amp gauge droped to about 8 volts and my check gauges light came on? after i let it set at work all night this morning i came in pulled it out of the shop let it run till i noticed it was pretty much draining the battery down til it died... i checked the plug on the alt and its pushed in good and can not find a broken wire anywhere. Im at a loss here guys, i really cant pull the alt off where the car sets and a tow bill will be stuiped to tow it to my friends shop. any help would be great.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You gotta do what you gotta do. Fix it or tow it where it can be fixed.

It does't take a shop full of tools to pull an alternator. You should be able to do it with a single tool bag.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:21 AM
On The Tree

I'm with Mr Incredible. Should be no problem pulling an alternator in a parking lot. Maybe if you don't have too far to go you could pull the battery and get it charged?
Old 06-09-2011, 08:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you may find it easier getting to it underneath. I thought I'd give it ago changing it from the top, gave me great back ache, and took over an hour to take it out. Took it to a shop to get just the alternator serviced, found it was good and was my battery instead. I see you have changed your battery so that's good. If I had the car on a ramp it would have made the removal far easier in my case.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It sounds like the v/r, which is internal in the alternator(if you didn't know).I went through the same thing, with a "bargain brand" alt.. I went to n.a.p.a., got another alt. tho it was a little more expensive, works fine, for over two years now. $.02
Old 06-09-2011, 09:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 87gnx
It sounds like the v/r, which is internal in the alternator(if you didn't know).I went through the same thing, with a "bargain brand" alt.. I went to n.a.p.a., got another alt. tho it was a little more expensive, works fine, for over two years now. $.02
^^^^^ Exactly this. I honestly would never buy a "rebuilt" alternator from anywhere. You are lucky if they last a couple months. Most places like Autozone will sell a reman/rebuilt alternator but they also sell a New alternator and it is only like another $20-$30 usually. I've never had a problem with the New ones, but after going through 3 rebuilt ones in one year, I'll never do that again.

Quick Reply: Alt not charging???? 98 Z28