General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How do i use an AC recharge kit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 01:46 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do i use an AC recharge kit?

My ac started blowing warm air, and I think it's low on freon (or whatever it's called now-a-days) I've always taken it to a shop to have it recharged, but I'd like to do it myself this time. Is there a write up with step by step instructions on how to do it?
Old 06-17-2011, 12:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

theres instructions on the back of the cans. I'd recommend getting a can of freon(r134a, the only kind available now) with a hose and gauge included, specifically the one with a standard canister fitting. (I work for advance, theres 2 products with gauges included, one only works with that brands canisters, the other works with everything)

basically you stick the gauge onto your low side port (should be on the drier) with the ac on "max" and the fan at full blow, then you watch needle movement, if its low, ad freon, if it kicks pressure back and forth its probably also low, and is building pressure when the compressor kicks on, then losing pressure when it disengages.

as far as adding refrigerant, do so with the ac on "max" blower on full blast, engine running. attach the hose to the canister and to the low side port, add freon until the needle is in the appropriate range (it should be indicated on the gauge face what good pressure is, I don't remember the psi rating) or until your ac becomes satisfactorily cold (whichever comes first, DO NOT overfill) if your system is full and your ac is still warm it is an indicator that there is another problem elsewhere.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would evac the system before recharging, and check the vacuum for a while before the recharge to check for leaks....then if its ok, add the proper amount of refrigerant to the system.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:14 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^agree^. Harbor freight sells manifold gauges and vacuum pump for less than a shop will charge you to do a evac and charge. Not the best stuff but it's good for do it yourselfers.

Quick Reply: How do i use an AC recharge kit?