General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Installed New Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 10:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installed New Alternator

Just put a new alternator on the Hawk, didn't notice initially the wire harness that plugs into the alternator was all burnt up and the pin had pretty much come all the way out. Went and got a new pig tail from NAPA and did the best soldering job I could with having no room. LOL PLUS I had no choice but to break the eyelet on the ground on the back because it was so overly torqued it would just spin when trying to get it off, so had to crimp on a ground. (Just wanted this all stated as the more info presented leads to more efficient replies lol)

Got everything put all back together and fired it up, my digital multi-meter is showing 13.5 volts at the battery and holds steady, lowest it read on numerous checks was 13.48 - is this still an acceptable volt reading?
Old 07-01-2011, 10:39 AM
TECH Resident

13.5V seems low. As a reference, I recently put a larger truck alternator into my 02 Z28 and at cold start the battery/alternator voltage is 14.8V. After 20 min of driving in the heat it will drop as low as 13.7V. My old stock alternator would put out about 14.4V at startup and drop as low as 13.5V when hot.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yea, I thought it was a bit low. Didn't dip down after getting warmed up. (shrug)
I still have the original alt on my ws6 (53k miles) and I get 14.4v

Any suggestions what I should do? I'm going to try and wedge my hand down so I can probe into the harness to read the voltage there. This may tell me if my solder job is holding me back.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

id be happy with 13.5 , i get 12.6 with the ac on cruising .