General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

water pump problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water pump problem

While installing my headers there's a slow drip from what my buddy said was the water pump. When I started it after the headers were on and still on jack stands and shut it off anti freeze poured out for a few secs and then stoped. When the car is level its just a slow drip if any at all. My temp on my scanner says at idle 225 and then the fans kick in and the temp drops and at 75mph the temp floats between 192 196. Any thoughts on the drip? Or temp?
Old 07-04-2011, 12:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 251 Likes on 207 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

get a new pump...what more ya wanna know?
Old 07-04-2011, 07:57 AM
On The Tree

Pretty blunt lol but ok
Old 07-05-2011, 01:26 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the backside within the water pump housing there is a bearing and seal. When the shaft that the water pump impeller is mounted on starts to get wobbly because of shaft wear and/or the bearing getting worn which causes the wobble, you will get coolant past that mechanical seal. When that happens the coolant flows into a passage way around the backside of the seal and out of a hole that leads to the outside of the water pump body. This is usually called a weap hole. That is there to be a tattle tail that your water pump is about to fail.

Keep in mind there is a bearing on the front side also and that supports the opposite end of the shaft which is what your pulley is mounted on. On some vehicles you will also have a thermostatic clutch and fan which is quite a bit of weight waiting to get slung through the radiator when it all lets go because it will all go out of balance when one of those bearings give out.

Get that water pump replaced. Dont take a chance on overheating an aluminum cylinder head and/or engine block. You wont be happy with what that costs you ....over just the cost of a water pump. Stop running it!
Old 07-05-2011, 01:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

good advise and info.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:32 PM
On The Tree

Ight thanks buddy im goinng thursday to get it changed