General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

The case of the moving coolant leak and boiling coolant...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 03:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default The case of the moving coolant leak and boiling coolant...

So I posted a few days ago that my Trans Am would leak coolant out of the refil neck once the car warmed up. There was no leak until the car got up to temperature, then it would leak out the cap.

I used some white pipe tape on the threads of the cap to make a better seal, and the coolant leak went away.
Well it didn't really go away..it moved.

Once the car warmed up, it started leaking coolant out of the radiator cap, so I tightened that.. leak moved again.

Now I'm not even sure where the leak is coming from, I think it's somewhere in the middle of the engine around the water pump. Perhaps past the waterpump gasket?

While i was looking for the leak I noticed that the coolant was boiling in the radiator.. you could literally hear it boil.. and feel it when you put your hand on the rad'.

What's going on here? What should I be looking for? I'm so lost.
Maybe I should take it in? I don't know...
Old 07-21-2011, 03:40 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Liquid will always take the path of least resistance, and when pressurized beyond design capacity within a system, it will continue to find an escape route of the least resistance. As you seal off potential routes, the next weakest link will be exposed.

You need to get to the root of the issue here. Why is the coolant boiling? Let's look at the facts:

- You've seen the coolant boil out the overflow and the radiator cap, and you can hear it boiling in the radiator. This tells me that the t-stat is opening, at least somewhat, because the coolant can only get hot inside the engine, and that hot coolant is obviously making it back to the radiator.

- Have you verified engine coolant temp with a scanner, or anything beyond the stock gauge?

- Have you verified that the electric fans are cutting on?

Those are the first two things I would do.

Some level of blockage/poor coolant flow through the system may also be a cause, potential issues there could be internal gunk build-up, t-stat not opening fully, poor water pump operation and/or any combo of the above.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll check to see if the fans will kick on, to be honest I don't ever remember them doing that? I have never checked beyond the stock gauge, I'm not sure how to even check that?
Could a head gasket leak be causing this? Should I do a pressure check?
Old 07-25-2011, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try a new radiator cap, or a known good one. Even a brand new one might be defective...
Old 07-25-2011, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your coolant is boiling out the overflow tank so you decided to seal it off to fix it...not trying to be a dick here but really? You obviously having a problem, sealing off the easy way outs probably caused your water pump gasket to blow. Find out why its boiling, don't just try and ignore it. Also draining some coolant out might not be a bad idea if its to the top of the overflow.

-Will
Old 07-27-2011, 10:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you can hear it boiling, you got air in the system, try filling it up and 'burping" the system...

meaning fill up the radiator and let the car come up to leaving the cap off, let the air get out of the radiator, then top it off and see how it goes...

BUT,

if the new cap didnt help i am going to bet more than anything its the water pump, i had this issue with one of my cars and i swore it was a headgasket but it was the water pump, and i had every symptom you have

Quick Reply: The case of the moving coolant leak and boiling coolant...