General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

new power steering pump whine

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 08:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default new power steering pump whine

I just replaced the power steering pump on my 98 camaro ss today. I figured the whine would go away, but no what gives? And yes i just bought a tranny to replace the so called power steering pump cooler. The pump was quiet for a little while. Could the fluid be burnt? I have no idea where to go from here. Should i drain or circulate some new fluid through? Lots of question help me out guys.

Last edited by 99Z71extcab; 07-30-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:14 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You bought a tranny cooler????

Could just be a bad NEW pump? You should have done a complete fluid flush and put new fluid in though.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bad PS pumps out of the box aren't uncommon; actually, it seems less common to get one that works right than to get a borked one.

Did you properly bleed the lines, and flush and refill the whole system with new fluid?
Old 07-31-2011, 07:26 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS6427
You bought a tranny cooler????

Could just be a bad NEW pump? You should have done a complete fluid flush and put new fluid in though.

I should have read my post sorry, I bought a tranny cooler after the whine didn't go away. Is the return line the line on the right side of the
reservoir? I never realized that you can bleed a pwersteering system. Is there any way to push out the old fluid with an air hose? Or would i risk blowing seals?
Old 07-31-2011, 07:37 AM
Teching In

If i open the top of the reservoir and have someone turn the wheel back and forth, should i be able to see fluid movement inside? The pump that i took off had no movement and neither does the new pump. The new pump makes the exact same whine the pump that i took off made. Now i'm thinking obstruction. The car has 114,000 do the racks usually need to be rebuilt, it has 0 leaks.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can use a vacuum pump or hand pump (like a Mityvac) to bleed the system, but most people just cycle the steering wheel back and forth. PSC Motorsports has a good write-up on bleeding a PS system on their site; but, if you're not seeing any fluid movement at all, I'd say there was another problem going on.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Element
You can use a vacuum pump or hand pump (like a Mityvac) to bleed the system, but most people just cycle the steering wheel back and forth. PSC Motorsports has a good write-up on bleeding a PS system on their site; but, if you're not seeing any fluid movement at all, I'd say there was another problem going on.
What could be the problem? Anyone? Im stumped!
Old 07-31-2011, 11:05 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

You either have air in the system or a bad pump. If you've driven it for a bit and the fluid doesn't look foamy/cloudy, the air should be all out.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:57 PM
Teching In

ok i guess i have to change the pump again.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:57 PM
Teching In

Took the car out it seems to whine only when the motor is up to temperature. when the motor is cold i dont have a whine.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:20 AM
Save the manuals!

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by 99Z71extcab
Took the car out it seems to whine only when the motor is up to temperature. when the motor is cold i dont have a whine.
Its probably more the P/S fluid coming up to temp. You might try flushing it completely.

I did mine by having someone help. I drained the reservoir, unhooked the return line, and then hooked up a scrap line to the reservoir return and bent it so the end was higher than the reservoir cap. This left me with the return line free and the reservoir holding fluid. I then put that end in to a spare milk jug and raised the front wheels on jack stands.

My helper then turned on the engine, and turned the steering wheel back and forth. While all this went on, I keep the reservoir full and we stopped when the fluid ran clear. Put it all back together and repeated the procedure until the system was blead out.

This method is difficult but fast. The helper also needs to be quick and shut off the engine if you can't keep up with refilling the fluid in the tank. Running the pump dry is bad...
Old 08-01-2011, 07:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wssix99
Its probably more the P/S fluid coming up to temp. You might try flushing it completely.

I did mine by having someone help. I drained the reservoir, unhooked the return line, and then hooked up a scrap line to the reservoir return and bent it so the end was higher than the reservoir cap. This left me with the return line free and the reservoir holding fluid. I then put that end in to a spare milk jug and raised the front wheels on jack stands.

My helper then turned on the engine, and turned the steering wheel back and forth. While all this went on, I keep the reservoir full and we stopped when the fluid ran clear. Put it all back together and repeated the procedure until the system was blead out.

This method is difficult but fast. The helper also needs to be quick and shut off the engine if you can't keep up with refilling the fluid in the tank. Running the pump dry is bad...
Will do. If this doesn't work i'm changing out the rack! I allready ordered the hose without the pump cooler in it and ordered a nice little power steering cooler.
http://www.etrailer.com/Power-Steeri...le/D13200.html
Old 08-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Banned

99Z71extcab,
Hey man....easiest and fastest way to do a full fluid change is with two people, or three is even better. Takes 5 minutes.

3 people:
-Put the front end in the air on jack stands so the tires can be turned left and right with the engine idling.
Take the hose off the bottom of the reservoir port (fluid return line from the rack) and have a friend simply hold it down into an oil catch pan.
-Have the second friend be ready with 4 open bottles of fluid to pour into the power steering reservoir, then you start the engine. ((from memory, I think it took 3 1/2 bottles total))
-As the level of fluid drops have that second friend start pouring in the new fluid.....while you turn the steering wheel from side to side, full left and right.
-The fluid will imediately start to shoot into the pan. As soon as that friend see's clear, new fluid, turn the engine OFF. Hook that hose back up, top off the fluid.
DONE. 5 minute job.

If you only have one friend to help like I did:
-Put the hose pointing down into the oil catch pan with a heavy vice grip hanging off the end just so it will stay spraying down into the pan when you start the engine.
-Then have the friend pour the fluid in, while he watches for clear, new fluid to spray out. Shut the engine off and button it all up.
DONE.

Obviously, get that aftermarket cooler on first. Or after I guess, doesn't matter you won't lose much fluid if you do it after. You can buy a 4 line cooler for less than that one in the link, little better cooling and fits great. Here's mine.

Attached Thumbnails new power steering pump whine-dsc01789.jpg   new power steering pump whine-dsc01787.jpg  

Last edited by LS6427; 08-01-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS6427
99Z71extcab,
Hey man....easiest and fastest way to do a full fluid change is with two people, or three is even better. Takes 5 minutes.

3 people:
-Put the front end in the air on jack stands so the tires can be turned left and right with the engine idling.
Take the hose off the bottom of the reservoir port (fluid return line from the rack) and have a friend simply hold it down into an oil catch pan.
-Have the second friend be ready with 4 open bottles of fluid to pour into the power steering reservoir, then you start the engine. ((from memory, I think it took 3 1/2 bottles total))
-As the level of fluid drops have that second friend start pouring in the new fluid.....while you turn the steering wheel from side to side, full left and right.
-The fluid will imediately start to shoot into the pan. As soon as that friend see's clear, new fluid, turn the engine OFF. Hook that hose back up, top off the fluid.
DONE. 5 minute job.

If you only have one friend to help like I did:
-Put the hose pointing down into the oil catch pan with a heavy vice grip hanging off the end just so it will stay spraying down into the pan when you start the engine.
-Then have the friend pour the fluid in, while he watches for clear, new fluid to spray out. Shut the engine off and button it all up.
DONE.

Obviously, get that aftermarket cooler on first. Or after I guess, doesn't matter you won't lose much fluid if you do it after. You can buy a 4 line cooler for less than that one in the link, little better cooling and fits great. Here's mine.

Thank you very much for the help. Thats great advice and should make everything easier. I have one question after going crazy reading alot of posts on this. Would the cooler work better in traffic if it was in front of the radiator where the fan could pull air over it since the car isn't moving? On Long Island we sometimes get stuck in rush hour traffic. I like what you did with your cooler, I might be over thinking it guys....let me know what you think.
.[/QUOTE]
Old 08-01-2011, 08:38 PM
Save the manuals!

LS1Tech 10 Year

Would the cooler work better in traffic if it was in front of the radiator where the fan could pull air over it since the car isn't moving?
The cooler will work fine but putting it in front of the radiator (and potentially your A/C condenser) could make your engine and A/C cooling less efficient. Mounting on the rail behind the air dam has proven to work really well for the cooler: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...g-success.html

If you are in traffic a lot, I'd recommend getting a rail-mount coller (not what you have picked out) as its designed to work without air moving over it. (The first post in the link above has a rail cooler.)
Old 08-01-2011, 08:48 PM
Banned

^^^agree with that.

And "99Z71extcab"...remember, there's tens of thousands of F-Bodies running around that never got the factory PS fluid coolers installed.....so no coolers at all. And they are fine. Its good to put an aftermarket cooler on simply because heat KILLS everything. Its just something to make the pump last longer. My original factory 1998 pump is still perfect.

You can also, not a big deal, pick up a power steering fluid filter to clamp in-line to one of the rubber hoses. They're very cheap. I don't have one but I might pick one up.

Rockauto.com has them for $15.00 You can probably get them anywhere though.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:15 PM
Teching In

So will the cooler that i allready picked up work? Great info by the way.Turned out out to be a very help full post. I think that the removal of the so called stock cooler is going to help alot. Anthing above what GM did is better than nothing. Seems to me that this is a heat related issue due to the factory installed cooler. Call me crazy but the fluid seems burnt!
Old 08-01-2011, 09:51 PM
Banned

So will the cooler that i allready picked up work? Great info by the way.Turned out out to be a very help full post. I think that the removal of the so called stock cooler is going to help alot. Anthing above what GM did is better than nothing. Seems to me that this is a heat related issue due to the factory installed cooler. Call me crazy but the fluid seems burnt!
Something is better than nothing. I just figure get a 4 line cooler, rather than a 2 line....since it fits perfectly. And I think I paid like $24.00 for mine at Advance Auto or PepBoys

Quick Reply: new power steering pump whine