General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Restarting car that has been out of commission

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 01:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Restarting car that has been out of commission

I have a 2000 SS and it sat for a very extended period of time unfortunately. I'm in the process of getting it ready to sell and obviously I cant get it to start. I put in a new battery, It won't turn over and the fuel pump prime sounds very weak on key turn.

My request to those in the know would be what would be my best plan of attack to get this car running again? How do I empty the fuel out of the tank and bleed my system?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The rundown:
2000 SS
M6
30k miles
No mods besides air lid and SLP D/D

Thank you in advance
Old 08-10-2011, 10:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you could use a cheap fuel pump or any cheap pump attach hoses to stick one end in tank the other in a bucket. use battery from car or old one, attach wires to said battery. you could also attach pump to a board so it isnt just hanging around. i have an external pump that i have laying around from an old project that i did this with. after you nput fresh fuel in you are going to want to check the fuel pressure, along with turning the engine over without starting it to prime the oil. im not sure of the pressure at the fuel rail, it might be posted somewhere in here.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The pump most likely bit the dust. Replace pump with a walbro 255 which cost a little over 100 bucks new.

Then pull the injector fuses, and turn the motor over for 10-15 sec 3x. Then replace the injector fuses and crank her up.

Now, to check the fuel pump. You can supply 12V straight to the pump to see if it works. If it does come on then put the pump back in and check the pressure at the fuel rail. Should be around 55-60 psi. Other than what I have said that should do her. I would suggest adding good fuel. Or completely empty the tank and replace with fresh gas.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:11 AM

Thanks for the responses guys.

Now when you say i should stick a hose in to get the fuel out, I dont think I can get a hose down the filler neck right?

If I have to replace the fuel pump, should a cut an access plate in for future access like I have seen some guys do around here?
Old 08-11-2011, 02:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i never really did like cutting into the gas tank personally but that's preference. dropping the tank isn't overly hard if you have the time for it. not sure that the fuel pump would be bad necessarily. i'd check before even thinking about replacing. but yeah replacing fuel ...maybe an oil change. check all fluids and maybe change them as well...water? antifreeze can get corrosive when its old i've read.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the hose i was suggesting would be a fuel line hose, or if you picked up a manual pump from a place like harbor freight the hose should fit down the filler neck. but then again how much fuel is actually in the tank? if its low and your problem is the pump, it shouldn't be too hard dropping the tank with some fuel. and of course check all other fluids, if your selling the car it will reflect on you and the price you get. keep all your receipts to show potential buyers what you have done and that you care about the car.