General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Need some A/C help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 12:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need some A/C help?

Guys,

Ok, here goes. I have a 95 T/A with a new compressor and dryer (installed) a few months back. I can't seem to get the air cooler than 65-68 deg - measured from center vent on full blast and cold. Here's what I've done:

Fully Evac'd the system and charged with 2 lbs - r134a
Proper amount of pag oil
Compressor is cycling and staying on normally
Fully flushed system - zero restrictions
System is holding pressure (several months now) and no leaks detected with dye
Evap core is clean and blower is working great with zero debris
Condensor is clean and no restrictions or debris
Temperature door seems to be working fine as I can switch between heat and cold no problem.

Now my recent pressure checks came back normal again with 35 (low) and 250 (high) at around 95 deg with 40%+ humidity in my garage. According to the LT1 specs this is normal and since I have no leaks and the system should be free of air I should be getting 55-60 at the vents as a max?

Am I just loosing it or what is going on here?

The low pressure side hose coming from the TXV (Thermal Expansion Valve) is cold and condensing as it should and the High Pres side going in is hot. Could my TXV have a problem and if so what symptoms should I be looking for? I'd really appreciate any advise here?
Old 08-28-2011, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have always been told that if the system makes it 30-40 degrees cooler than ambient then it is doing good,, just something to consider. Sounds like you know exactly what you are doing with the system, although I would have expected the high side to have a higher pressure around the 300s. I feel your pain bro.. This heat is just snatching the life out of me too. TO all who dont live in texas,, We are at 60 days of 100 degree and up temps...
Old 08-28-2011, 12:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RARON455
I feel your pain bro.. This heat is just snatching the life out of me too. TO all who dont live in texas,, We are at 60 days of 100 degree and up temps...
and Irene didn't help the issue. Try living with a dead A/C compressor...
Old 08-28-2011, 04:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds pretty close to normal to me according to the LT1 AC performance chart on shoeboxes site. Maybe the difference is even though the fans are on your're in the garage, and not getting any additional airflow you'd be getting driving down the road?

http://shbox.com/1/ac_performance_chart.jpg