General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Bad MAF?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad MAF?

Hey guys,
I have an 80MM Delphi MAF on my 2001 T/A..it has been running awesome lately and I've had no issue's at all...for once.
Today I took it out to the car was and spent a good 2 minutes spraying down the engine bay but stayed away (as much as possible) from the intake, coils and pcm.
About halfway home I noticed that it had some hesitation..it only does it under partial load, and at WOT, BUT I am throwing some O2 codes, Bank 1 Sensor 1 I believe and Bank 2 Sensor 2. I know it also threw a faulty catlytic convertor code, but I'm not too sure which side. I know that the clogged cat and cause misfire/ hesitation (which I have, the misfire is very noticeable at idle.)
Over the summer I changed plugs so I'm doubting it's those, they are NGK Tr55's gapped at factory spec. So all I have left is wires/coils, a leaky injector O-ring (leaked in water and possibly fouled plug?) Or a bad MAF. I will try to post up vids, i do have a 5.3L LM7 truck that I can swap MAFS with but I will do that as a last resort to see if that;s what it really is, so where should I start?

Basically, have misfire, think its MAF, where do I start?
Old 10-06-2011, 02:33 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Since you say that the problems didn't start until you washed the engine I would wait for the car to dry out before you rush out and buy 02 sensors and a 'cat. I've heard of people spraying their engines down and having problems afterwards.

I know a lot of people swear by washing their engines but I've never agreed by it: water and electronics don't mix and there are enough components in there to make it not worth the risk...
Old 10-06-2011, 07:04 AM
TECH Regular

Did you try tapping on it while it's running? Usually when the maf is bad you can tap it with a screwdriver or something and the idle will stumble.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Like already said water and engine bays do not mix. I just stick to hand washing mine. If you are throwing a code for bank 1 sensor 1 that may very well be your problem. Let your car "dry" out clean your maf clear the codes and see if they come back or still get the misfire.