General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

tune up gone bad....

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default tune up gone bad....

ok guys, i just changed my ngk tr55 @.045 for ngk tr55 @ .055. all 8 were gapped at .065 when i got them but i thought they came in the box at .055? maybe my gauge is wrong, cheapie parts store deal..

i also cleaned and reoiled my k&n air filter. i changed the fuel filter for a wix.. all i did is remove the old and install the new.. was i suppose to bleed the air out or something? i didnt do it the first time i changed the filter and i didnt have any problems... to make matters more difficult the battery died while listening to the radio and i believe it reset the computer...

i took it for a spin right after i did all this and the car fell on its face the instant i hit the gas and after .5 seconds would roar back to life... it smells of gas more strongly than before. like im taking a bath in it..

my first thought was k&n oil on the maf.. i cleaned it with maf cleaner and washed and re oiled the filter.. i took the car for a spin before re installing the filter and it still fell on its face so ive atleast removed that one from the possibility..

is this an air in the fuel problem? didnt even know that could happen.. or did i go to a too large gap on the new plugs.. i want maximum effeciency so i dont want to close the gap down if its not the problem..

car is a 98 trans am with an ls3 tuned by vengeance 42 pound injectors headers exhaust large cam....
Old 11-05-2011, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well, first id seriously consider getting rid of that oiled filter..does nothing good for maf readings, and will skew its readings as well..

it is not possible to have air in the fuel once you get it running, inless theres a leak somewhere..after the system is primed and you start the vehicle..all the air either escapes through the F.P.R. or through the injectors..

if your car seems sluggish or dog like, id consider looking into maybe a different gap on your plugs, possible that its misfiring from a cracked plug? or you didnt clip the plug wires on all the way? you also say your batt died from listening to the radio..well your fuel trims are more then likley off and the car will need to re-learn your driving habits..your tune isnt gone, just might need some miles put on it..

hope this helped.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I knew my tune wasn't gone, but that it was off a bit from what I'm used to because of the relearn. I tightened the gaps up and it acted better but similar for a mile then Cleared up... It seems better now so idk...