General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

alternator problems?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 09:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default alternator problems?

Driving around in the SS looking for cars to play with.
Car is performing well, too well... never felt so much power.
I drove around for a while and never saw the charge drop, i unplugged my ac compressor and leave my climate control on AC so fans stay running.

All of a sudden i thought the lights were kind of dim.
They were.
I realized it was on top of the red, not out of it, not on 8 AMPS either
(basically what it looks on when car hasn't started yet)

The alternator only has about 15k miles on it. It was replaced by previous owner.

I unhooked my positive battery terminal and it shut off. I am pretty sure its a failed alternator.

any other ideas?
anyone agree?
Old 09-02-2015, 12:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default alternator problems?

Check your alternator signal wire.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:40 PM
TECH Resident

It was the alterbator. Signal wire was already the replacement. Changed alternator and it's charging
Old 09-02-2015, 05:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's not unheard of, most people replace alternators with reman units that are pretty crappy.

I know when mine crapped out it kicked on the "check gauges" light and had the low voltage on the needle, I've also seen low voltage like that on my Trailblazer when I bought it because it had a BAD (like literally SMOKING bad) battery, swapped out the battery and the volt meter went back to normal, nearly 7 months later and still rocking the factory alt at over 200k miles, which in my book is pretty darn good for a GM, I say that because I've had to replace at least 1 alt in ever GM vehicle I've owned, but I also have stereo systems that put huge demands on alternators so it's expected on my end.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
it's not unheard of, most people replace alternators with reman units that are pretty crappy.

I know when mine crapped out it kicked on the "check gauges" light and had the low voltage on the needle, I've also seen low voltage like that on my Trailblazer when I bought it because it had a BAD (like literally SMOKING bad) battery, swapped out the battery and the volt meter went back to normal, nearly 7 months later and still rocking the factory alt at over 200k miles, which in my book is pretty darn good for a GM, I say that because I've had to replace at least 1 alt in ever GM vehicle I've owned, but I also have stereo systems that put huge demands on alternators so it's expected on my end.
it sucks because it was expensive for a lifetime warranty one.
but before i knew it crapped out i never felt so much power! i could blow the tires away whenever i wanted!

replaced it today now its back to a chirp :[
Old 09-03-2015, 07:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My factory alt just died after 133k miles. Since I plan on keeping the car forever I ponied up for a new (not reman) with a lifetime warranty. Hopefully this one will last another 15 years and then I'll swap it out for free under warranty

Quick Reply: alternator problems?