General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Coolant Temperature Sending/Sensor Unit

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 11:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Temperature Sending/Sensor Unit

So on my 3.4L V6 I have been having troubles.
Wednesday my girlfriend and I drove my car to the autozone because I was going to work on her car after that we drove to the local DMV's practice parking lot so she could practice parking. Well while she is practicing all of a sudden I smell a weird antifreeze type smell and Im thinking to myself cant be my car must be someone elses, a few seconds later I see white smoke coming from the hood of my car I tell her to stop and shut the car off and get out and I pop the hood open and let it cool off. After letting it cool off I took it back home and checked why it overheated all of a sudden, power steering had fluids, motor oil checked out fine, all fluids checked out good. I start to check the cooling system to find out my fan isn't turning on when the car is getting hot and Im wondering like wth so I check the relays and go to find out it is straight wired and I am like :o! I got the car in June from someone else. Go to figure the battery pushed out to much juice to the fan motor and it blew out. I went to the auto parts store got a new motor and new relay to replace that straight wire to make sure no high voltage can bust that motor again. I put the motor on and the relay, let the engine warm up and it starts to get too hot and still no fan turning on so I quickly put it back to straight wire and the fan goes into action and everything cools down nicely. I wondered and wondered what it could be. Finally it came to my mind that my temperature gauge is broke and doesn't read the temp of the engine, and on top of that the PCM isn't kicking the fan on when it needs to. All fingers point to my Coolant Temp Sending/Sensor unit, its a two in one gadget. The only problems I am having now is I take off the electric socket connected to the sensor unit and the socket has one electric inlet point and only one wire going out, the sensor has two points, which is confusing me, but when I look at new ones I see they are electric sockets with two point and two wires and sensors with two points and some electrical sockets with one point and one wire going out of it. Just a bit of advice on that would be AWESOME! And if any other 3.4L birds out there that know what size deep well sockets that sensor would fit snug on to take it off would be awesome too, I am having a hard time getting an open wrench in there but I think its a 13/16 inch, I tried putting a 19 mm but too small so Im thinking my best bet would be to buy a 13/16 inch deep well socket and a 22mm deep well socket gimme some feed back! Thanks a whole lot
Old 11-26-2011, 08:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alrighty I reaaaally need some feedback on this, I found the temp sensor for the car but I just need some advice.
My fan doesn't kick on when its supposed to, the engine gets hot and it doesn't turn on. And my temp gauge in the instrument cluster show the meter all the way up as high as it can go and its been like that since I bought the car no to long ago. Do you guys think its sensor?

Quick Reply: Coolant Temperature Sending/Sensor Unit