General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds
Old 05-20-2016, 02:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

How to remove/replace headlights - 99 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 09:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to remove/replace headlights - 99 Camaro

After several attempts to clean the fog from my 99 Camaro plastic headlight lenzes using various commercial kits, I decided to purchase a replacement set of headlight lenses.

Looking under the hood, the replacement job does not seem to be a simple project.

Is there a tutorial on this? Is this a 4 hour job?

Thx...
Old 01-03-2012, 11:49 AM
Launching!

I have a '99 Z28 and removing the headlights is a pretty straightforward job, taking less than 10 mins. Unplug the high and low beam connectors, and slide them out of the way. There is one bolt on each side that holds the lamp housing in place. Remove that bolt from each housing. The whole housing will slide slightly inwards ..... towards each other and then they are loose. There are two tabs on each housing fitted into two slots in the cars structure .... look closely to see these, because understanding how these slide apart makes it so much easier to put back together. Once the housing are loose from the structure, I have to wiggle them a bit to get them out of the car. It's pretty easy.

As an aside, you have to remove these headlight housing in order to change your turn signal bulbs.

As another aside, I've pulled the headlamp enclosures out a couple of times to polish them using the 3M kit available at Autozone ..... always with pretty good results. Although they have fogged up again within a year or two.

Where did you get the factory replacements, and how was the cost?
Old 01-03-2012, 12:07 PM
TECH Veteran

...lots of these are availible on the Net.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...CXVT7TVGN63CZR

these are OEM style lights which are a tad higher in price....
Old 01-03-2012, 12:23 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Check out the second post in this thread for step-by-step instructions on this (it also covers removing the blinker housings, so just disregard that part):

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-l...-housings.html

As for buying new lenses, even the stuff that GM sells at this point is made by Depo. A lot of people seem to be pretty happy with the fit and quality of the Depo models, but I was disappointed. I ended up just re-restoring my stock headlights and put them back on the car because they were a better fit than the Depos (even after I swapped over the stock bracket).

Here is a detailed outline of my experience with the Depos, just an FYI if you care to read it:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...-now-depo.html
Old 01-03-2012, 12:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

took some pics when I had the front end apart,don't know if these'll help.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:45 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

No need to pull off that whole metal mounting plate just to remove the headlights. You can just release the 10mm bolt that holds the top metal brace to the plastic headlight bracket and then remove the headlight + bracket without the brace or mounting plate.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Youtube video of the headlight removal is below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chm5kPID-24
Old 03-28-2012, 02:33 PM
TECH Veteran

This is a good video.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:07 PM
Teching In

I just used the Wipe New restoration kit on my 2000 Z28. My headlight lenses were damn near opaque. I had used a kit previously by Turtle Wax to restore the lenses. The lenses came out sorta clear and quickly re-oxidized. The Wipe New kit pads really removed all the scale and oxidation quickly. Not nearly as much effort as the Turtle Wax kit. The Wipe New single use pad made the lenses look like a new pair. They are crystal clear and look like the day I bought the car from Chevy. The box claims that's the last time I'll have to do this job. I am assuming that's because the stuff is permanent, although it could be because the stuff is lethal. Anyway, it looks fabulous. BTW, I'm looking for a replacement bracket on which the headlight mounts for the right side of my car. The black metal shown in the photos above. I had a slight fender bumper years ago and it ruined the adjuster mechanism. Any source suggestions?

Quick Reply: How to remove/replace headlights - 99 Camaro