General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Replacing Plugs and Wires Soon

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 05:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacing Plugs and Wires Soon

Hey everyone, my 2002 Z28 just rolled over 170,000 miles and I was looking at doing a few things since it's getting into the later parts of its life. I just spent $2000 on rebuilding the transmission, and I figured I would go ahead and change the plugs and wires before it gets too cold outside. What brands should I look out for? I've heard bad things about Bosch.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:31 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yea, no Bosch.

Get NGK TR55 or TR5 plugs. Gap them to .050

But new wires at PepBoys or Advance Auto for $35-$40....they are as good as you'll get. No aftermarket wire will do anything at all for increased performance.......not for a stock or even medium built engine....don't waste the money and don't listen to the BS....

Old 01-25-2012, 09:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put in ngk tr55ix ones, the irridium flavour, IMHO the extra you pay for the plugs is worth it, apparently they do last quite a bit longer without requiring a change and they come pre-gapped.
I agree with ls6427 about the wires , but again IMHO Taylor are nice wires, nice and thick. I have the 10.4 mm ones , no noticeable performance increase but again, its only 100 bucks.. and my whip's worth it haha!

By the Way, I hate number 8 plug.

good luck
Old 01-25-2012, 09:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1maro
I just put in ngk tr55ix ones, the irridium flavour, IMHO the extra you pay for the plugs is worth it, apparently they do last quite a bit longer without requiring a change and they come pre-gapped.
I agree with ls6427 about the wires , but again IMHO Taylor are nice wires, nice and thick. I have the 10.4 mm ones , no noticeable performance increase but again, its only 100 bucks.. and my whip's worth it haha!

good luck
You actually trust, "pre gapped", plugs and do not gap them yourself?

Only $100 for wires? Why not just go the msd route then, if you like waisting lots of money on ignition parts for the hell of it, because, "your whip's worth it."
Old 01-25-2012, 09:19 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1maro

good luck
I had the Taylor 10.4 Thunderbolts....first time I took them off to do a plug change like one year after I put them all on. 5 of them broke while taking them off. YES...pulling at the boot. The electrode stayed on the spark plug and pulled the wiring right out of the boot. Totally ruined. Hopefully they make them better now.

Nothing has been better than my $36.00 wires from Advance Auto.....