General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

smoke coming from shifter boot

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 09:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smoke coming from shifter boot

I have a 99 camaro z28 with a six speed and as im going down the road with the windows up there is no smoke. But if I roll the windows down I can see some venting out and going to the open window. It smells oily but it must be a really small leak because I check my oil constantly. Does anyone know where this could be coming from? It doesn't pour smoke just a faint amount.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:29 AM
Teching In

For there to be smoke you have to be burning some type of oil. Have you seen in spotting in the driveway or garage where you park your vehicle indicating a small leak? Engine oil will be brown and even though it's a six-speed manual the fluid will be red for transmission. If your pretty sure your engine is not leaking I would be concerned about the fluid level in your transmission, when was the last time you had fluid level checked in transmission?

Chris
Old 01-27-2012, 11:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The leaking oil could be coming from anywhere. Have you been able to get under the car and check for leaks or something that looks worse than normal seepage?
Old 01-27-2012, 11:41 AM
Staging Lane

could be the rear main seal in the car...could be leaking in between the trans
Old 01-27-2012, 05:41 PM
Teching In

There is a oil leak I can see it from under the car. It seems to be coming from the top if the motor that's why I was thinking maybe the oil pressure sending unit had a small leak and it was maybe hitting the bellhousing and coming up. It gets worse as I get down on it. And the tranny was just flushed and new fluid added less than a month ago.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe the trans has too much fluid and its coming out of the driveshaft seal, or said seal is leaking on the end of the trans, and its getting slung onto the hot exhaust?
Old 01-30-2012, 10:51 AM
Teching In

It could be that. I didn't change the fluid in it because I live in a apartment complex and they'll raise hell if you work on your car out there so I brought it to a shop with 4 quarts of syncromesh they must have put it all in there. I hardly have time to get under it between school and I have to bring it to a shop to see underneath it. Does that mean it will eventually go away?

Quick Reply: smoke coming from shifter boot