General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Left turn signal won't cancel, not spring or cam?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 03:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Left turn signal won't cancel, not spring or cam?

I seem to be hard on turn signal canceling parts,go through them every few years- I tend to hold it due to where my driveway is right around a corner.

My left signal won't cancel, I figured it was the spring. Took it apart, springs were ok but I replaced them anyway. Was putting it back together and saw the clip in the turn signal cam the holds the horn connector in was cracked, so I got a new cam as well. However, still won't cancel - looking at the old cam there weren't an worn grooves, either.

Any other suggestions on what it may be? Is there any way to test if it's cancelling without putting it all back together? I don't fully understand how it works - I set the signal and try just placing in the cam and turning it but it won't cancel either signal.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:24 AM
Launching!

Update ... I decided to just get a whole new turn signal switch ... and I still have the same problem. I don't know what the issue is ... I get the same "clicks" turning the wheel left and right, it just won't cancel left. Is it possible I got a poor quality turn signal cam? - link. Not sure they're anything else to replace.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:40 PM
Teching In

mine won't let me use the right turn signal yet the light works. sometimes it will work and sometimes it won't. you might have to take apart the steering column or dash to do see if there is a bad wire.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:10 PM
Launching!

My signals work, the left side just won't cancel automatically when you re-center the wheel and I have to click it off manually. It seems like a mechical problem but I don't think there's anything else related I haven't replaced yet. I wish I still had the original canceling cam to compare to, I wonder if the plastic tabs that make contact are a little off. Of course it's $30 for the dealer what I paid $6 for at the parts store
Old 04-08-2013, 12:33 AM
Teching In

Did u ever figure problem out? What is the cam? My 02 SS won't cancel on either side...
Old 04-08-2013, 12:49 AM
Launching!

I don't think this fixed it immediately, but I just left it because it was almost time to put it away for the winter, but if I recall it just fixed itself one day.

I've always fixed it in the past with just a new spring or a cam - you can get generic parts cheap, here's the cam, I had one go bad in the past when it got grooves worn into where the springs made contact

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...irectional+cam

Quick Reply: Left turn signal won't cancel, not spring or cam?