General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Leaking water in the hatch

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 12:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Leaking water in the hatch

Well with all this rain from the tropical storm the TA started leaking water into the hatch area. I never had a problem with it until after it got painted. I sucked up a little over 3 gallons from between the t top holders today. I've searched as many threads as I could find about it leaking but never saw this mentioned. The water seems to be coming in from just above the taillights where the water drains run down the side of the hatch. There's these little plastic things that don't lay flat and it seems the water runs under them and into the trunk area. Are these supposed to lay flat? Should I put some RTV under them?

This is from the driver side corner. It looks like it runs down both the driver and pass side. Is this a common thing? I couldn't find anything about it.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This same thing happened to me after we had a haard storm come through Central Kansas. It never happened on my 94 Z28, so my guess is its the giant wing that these Trans Ams come with... lifted the hatch up just enough that water shot in for a while.

Just my guess, I took it through the power auto wash and watched for water to come in... and nothing. I think its just a fluke. Dunno.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 134 Posts

Was the car level? If you park with the nose facing down hill the drain channels will overfill and run into the car.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have those plastic things on my car, but I may've had the same problem last week. My leak was behind the right rear light fixture. There is a seam that has come heavy duty caulk (whatever that stuff is called) over it that had come lose. When it rained water would puddle up and go down through the crack into my hatch. I put some roof patching on it to seal it up good. I can take a pic if need be

Quick Reply: Leaking water in the hatch