General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Scheduled maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 10:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Scheduled maintenance

I bought my 2002 WS6 manual transmission in November of 2010 with about 101,000 miles on it, it now has 103,000 miles on it. I have no idea if the previous owner followed the maintenance schedule. Probably not. What maintenance should be done? For example, what needs lubricating, and which fluids should be changed, and should they be switched to a premium fluid like Royal Purlpe? Also, how often should the oil be changed considering it some times sits for months without driving it?

Last edited by kenji226; 07-21-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:50 AM
Launching!

Copied from another post/forum, hopefully it'll help you with the majority of your questions. Cheers!

The following is a recommended time interval / mileage maintenance document based on what the service manual states for our cars (3800 V6 / 5.7L V8 engine) and what we recommend based on experience.

This is just a recommendation and was written to be used solely as a guideline. The age of a vehicle, driving habits, and mileage all play a role in routine maintenance.

Cooling system:
Coolant flush every 4 years / 100,000 miles

Use a 50/50 mixture of clean, drinkable water and use only GM Goodwrench DEX-COOL, Havoline DEX-COOL coolant or other GM approved DEX-COOL.

The service manual recommends AGAINST using a chemical flushing agent in our cooling systems. Some here have flushed their system with water and drop the block drains in order to get as much of the old coolant out as possible. Do not mix a standard “green” coolant with DEX-COOL as it has been known to create sludge in the cooling system. If switching from DEX-COOL to another brand, it is imperative that the cooling system, including the overflow tank and heater core, be thoroughly flushed of old coolant.

Capacity is as follows:
- 3800 V6 with manual transmission = 11.6 quarts
- 3800 V6 with automatic transmission = 11.4 quarts
- 5.7L V8 with manual transmission = 11.9 quarts
- 5.7L V8 with automatic transmission = 11.8 quarts

I made this thread some time ago if anyone is interested in learning more about how a cooling system works in more detail. Cooling Systems 101

Hydraulic Brake System:
Use Delco Supreme II Brake Fluid (GM Part number 12377967 or equivalent DOT-3 brake fluid).

Brake Fluid flush ever 2 years / 25,000 miles

Hydraulic Clutch System:
Use hydraulic clutch fluid (GM Part number 12345347 or equivalent DOT-3 brake fluid).

Fluid Flush every year / 15,000 miles

Flushing of each of the above systems may be accomplished by manually pumping the pedal and then holding down on the pedal as the bleeder is cracked open and closed again before the pedal bottoms out. In the alternative, a much simpler method is to utilize a Mity-Vac to vacuum bleed the system. Just be sure that adequate fluid remains in the reservoir during the flushing process so that no air is sucked into the system.

For the Mity-Vac sticky, go here: How to bleed a clutch with a Mity Vac

Manual Transmission:
Use DEXRON - III Automatic Transmission Fluid.

Capacity is as follows:
- Five-speed = 3.4 quarts
- Six speed = 4 quarts

I created this thread some time ago if you would like to read further into how a manual transmission works. How a Manual Transmission Works...

Change the transmission fluid if the vehicle is mainly driven under one or more of these conditions every 15,000 miles.
- In heavy city traffic where the outside temperature regularly reaches 90°F or higher.
- In hilly or mountainous terrain
- When doing frequent trailer towing

If you do not use your vehicle under any of these conditions, change the fluid and filter every 50,000 miles.

Automatic Transmission:
Use DEXRON - III Automatic Transmission Fluid

Capacity is as follows:
- Drain and refill Overhaul = 5.0 quarts
- 3800 V6 = 8.8 quarts
- 5.7L V8 = 10.8 quarts

Change the transmission fluid and filter if the vehicle is mainly driven under one or more of these conditions every 15,000 miles.
- In heavy city traffic where the outside temperature regularly reaches 90°F or higher.
- In hilly or mountainous terrain
- When doing frequent trailer towing

If you do not use your vehicle under any of these conditions, change the fluid and filter at least every 50,000 miles. Be sure to thoroughly clean the magnetic strip in the bottom of the transmission pan before reassembly.

Rear Axle - Standard Differential
Use SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Axle Lubricant (GM Part #12378261 or equivalent meeting GM Specification 9986115).

Change every 30,000 miles

Rear Axle - Limited-Slip Differential
Use SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Axle Lubricant (GM Part #12378261 or equivalent meeting GM Specification 9986115). With a complete drain and refill add 4 ounces of Limited-Slip Axle Lubricant Additive (GM Part #1052358 or equivalent). Even though the 2000 model year and later F-body limited-slip differentials are a gear type Torsen unit, the use of a limited-slip additive is still recommended.

Change every 30,000 miles

Engine Oil:
Change the engine oil and filter as indicated by the GM Oil Life System (or every 12 months, whichever occurs first). Reset the system afterward. If the system is ever reset by accident, you must change your oil at 3,000 miles since your last oil change.

Capacity is as follows:
- 3800 V6 = 4.5 quarts
- 5.7L V8 = 5.5 quarts

Here is a great thread on what people are using: I'm a Oil Junkie

Tire Rotation:
Every 6,000 - 7,500 miles. Basically you should rotate your tires every other oil change.

Fuel Filter:
3800 V6 = Part #G627
5.7L V8 = Part #GF578

Change every 30,000 miles.

Air Filter:
Change every 15,000 miles. This is an item that needs servicing based on what kind of road conditions you drive in. If you drive through a construction site daily, chances are you will need to check your air filter more regularly.

Spark Plugs and Wires:
Spark plugs and wires should be changed every 100,000 miles

For tips on how to change them, see this thread: plugs and wires on ls1?

Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV):
Service every 100,000 miles

Belt Inspection:
Inspect belts regularly. Replace if necessary every 60,000 miles.

Power Steering Fluid:
Service every 50,000 miles
GM Power Steering Fluid
GM Part #1052884 - 1 pint
GM Part #1050017 - 1 quart or equivalent

Key Lock Cylinders:
Lubricate at least once a year
Multi-purpose Lubricant, Superlube - GM Part #12346241 or equivalent

Owner Checks and Services:
At each fill-up you should check the following fluid levels:
- Engine Oil Level
- Engine Coolant Level
- Windshield Washer Fluid
- Tire Inflation should be checked at least once a month. Recommended torque value for wheel nuts = 100 lb-ft.

Last edited by colinpd137; 07-22-2012 at 04:52 AM. Reason: easier to read, bold context.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:21 PM
Teching In

So since it has over 100,000 miles, I should do all of these and the OEM fluids are the best? I thought maybe Royal Purple or Amsoil would be better for some of these. Also, at 1500 miles a year or less, it will be twenty years before I reach another 30,000 miles so most of these I'll never have to do again?
Old 07-24-2012, 08:22 AM

Good write up colingp
Old 07-24-2012, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy01
Good write up colingp
I agree.

Quick Reply: Scheduled maintenance