General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

someone please enlighten me on this situation

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default someone please enlighten me on this situation

So I hope someone can give me some insight to this baffling problem. Husband went and "destroyed" both rear tires and left them on the road literally. Came home and now car (04 gto 5.7 manual 6 speed ) won't start?? We popped started one time and now won't go into gear either or start again. Thinking TOB that was considerably noisy for about a month but really would that cause such weird combination of issues? Anyone with some insight please help. I am thinking clutch switch I dont know though. And do not want to waste a bunch of money because he already has in his mind to replace everything clutch ,flywheel, TOB,slave cylinder. Plus let's not forget the 2 tires. Oh so help me I am not happy.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a "TOB" ?
Old 01-23-2013, 11:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by great421
Forgive my ignorance, but what is a "TOB" ?
throw out bearing for clutch.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:20 PM

Thank you and yes the throw out bearing. I guess no one has any idea of what the underlying issue is.?
Old 01-24-2013, 12:32 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I think we need to know more about the circumstances around how the two tires got trashed and what "won't start" means. Was the engine over-rev'd? Does the engine crank? Does the car lurch when it cranks?

When my imagination runs wild here... I have visions of smoky burnouts and flying engine/transmission shrapnel. I'm sure that wasn't the case, right? Were the tires simple victims of road debris/nails, etc.?
Old 01-24-2013, 12:35 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, I think we need some more specific info.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:56 PM
11 Second Club

I'd bet the throw out bearing or clutch are fried and causing your problems. When I exploded the clutch on my e30 I couldn't start the car or go into any gear (clutch material jammed everything up). That was my issue, yours could be a number of things but that would he my wild guess with the vague information given.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:07 PM

Ok yes major burnouts and we were able to popstart it once and it did stay running until he turned off because it would not go into gear. And the major burnouts literally shredded the tires so yes your imagination is right on spot. Thank you for any and all info.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:58 AM
Save the manuals!

Let's start by hoping you are lucky and it was the popstart that did things in.

Do you know of the battery is fully charged and what happens when you try to start the car now? Is there any clicking or does the engine try to turn over?

BTW - I hope with all this drama and expense, you all got some good video of the burnouts.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:00 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yea......does the engine turn over normally when trying to start it....?

If its turning over normally and just not firing up......the pop start could have done something to the Crank Shaft Position sensor.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:32 AM

The car doesn't turn over you can hear fuel pump kick on starter is turning but nothing so it doesn't try to start now. Which is why I thought maybe because clutch is obviously not engaging that it had something to do with " safety" and the obvious clutch. No videos other than the one of me screaming at him because it was no way I didn't do that as I saw the marks and oh pieces of tires up the road a whole half mile from the house and not to many cars around here can do that plus the obvious shredded tires and as far as crank sensor It doesn't seem like that because we had to replace one in another car and def doesn't seem like same issue but who knows. Yes battery is fine and fully charged. I guess he will spend A lot of time out there breaking it down and figuring it out.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:22 AM
11 Second Club

So the starter DOES turn?
Old 01-27-2013, 08:41 AM
Save the manuals!

I was thinking the clutch might be broken and fully engaged all the time. If this was the case, the car would try to crank and buck as the starter tried to both crank the engine and move the car...

Quick Reply: someone please enlighten me on this situation