General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car acting STRANGE when its cold.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 04:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car acting STRANGE when its cold.

Monday and Tuesday have been cold out where I live. This issue started Monday.

Monday I start my car, it immediately starts and revs to 2,000 RPM'S, as the RPMs go down over a couple seconds thr car will bog out and die if I don't give it gas. The car will stall when accalerating from complete stops.I drive 5 minutes to McDonalds cuz I was hungry...FIVE minutes. After being there for half hour. Icome out and car starts fine. Like a champ no stalling either. Go to work for 7 hours... car starts like a champ and doesnt stall at stop signs and red lights.

Tuesday morning, car does thr same thing when i start it. Drive THREE mintues to my grandpas...able to start and run like a champ.

What is going on with my baby?? I have no check engine light. I DO have an exhaust leak but nothing major. The bogging out on start problem will go away after wrestling with it for 2-3 minutes.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:44 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptMichaelJohn
Monday and Tuesday have been cold out where I live. This issue started Monday.

Monday I start my car, it immediately starts and revs to 2,000 RPM'S, as the RPMs go down over a couple seconds thr car will bog out and die if I don't give it gas. The car will stall when accalerating from complete stops.I drive 5 minutes to McDonalds cuz I was hungry...FIVE minutes. After being there for half hour. Icome out and car starts fine. Like a champ no stalling either. Go to work for 7 hours... car starts like a champ and doesnt stall at stop signs and red lights.

Tuesday morning, car does thr same thing when i start it. Drive THREE mintues to my grandpas...able to start and run like a champ.

What is going on with my baby?? I have no check engine light. I DO have an exhaust leak but nothing major. The bogging out on start problem will go away after wrestling with it for 2-3 minutes.
With your foot off the throttle pedal.....Only way an engine can get an increase in rpms is if more air enters the intake....there is no other way.....so lets rule out a vacuum leak because after its warm it runs perfect.

The IAC valve is the only thing left.......

The MAF and the 02 sensors can tell the PCM to make the IAC valve act wacky. The MAF controls the engine when it's cold. After the engine warms up the 02 sensors take over mostly.

So maybe your MAF is failed and you're just not getting a code and a ses light. Failing 02 sensors can also cause your problem.

So......it's simple. Start with an OBDII scan with the engine running to see how the 02 sensors are switching. The MAF signal can also be checked.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:47 PM
Banned

You could also go buy a new MAF and put it on in 3 minutes. If it fixes it you're done. If not, return it for a refund and go have the 02 sensors checked.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So basically get into my throttle body area and check the MAF and IACV (by the way where is thst located exactly) and if that doesnt solve my problem I should scan to see if its 02 sensors?
Old 01-25-2013, 10:36 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Where do you live? There are big differences between:
- Texas cold
- Missouri cold
- Minnesota cold
- Canada cold (my personal low in Canada is -40 Fahrenheit - now that's cold...)
Old 01-26-2013, 01:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CaptMichaelJohn
So basically get into my throttle body area and check the MAF and IACV (by the way where is thst located exactly) and if that doesnt solve my problem I should scan to see if its 02 sensors?
MAF is in line right before the TB. IAC valve is attached to the drivers side top of the TB.

Both have one plug on them.

Do what's free.....get a new MAF and out it on, see if it works. If it does then you needed a new one. If it doesn't fix it return it and go get a scan to check the 02 sensors.

Quick Reply: Car acting STRANGE when its cold.