General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Coolent System?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 12:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolent System?

OK so I have just replaced my water pump.. GREAT! But his do I fill the cooling system?! There is no bleed valve that I can.find to get the air out.. also how do I bypass the thermostat?! I know the coolant needs to get to the block but the t-stat won't open till 160 O.e can someone shine some light onto this?
Old 03-03-2013, 05:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 118 Posts

The thermostat is on the 'out' side of the block. All thermostats have a 'tiny flow' feature whch allows the air to be bled out very quickly. I never had a problem getting the block filled.
There is a 'final air bleed procedure' that you'll have to do a search for in this forum.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:29 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts

If your system is stock, it should self-bleed. There is a vent tube at the highest point of the system and during each heat-up cycle, any accumulated gasses in the radiator will be pushed out through the overflow bottle.

I've never had any issue with this on my previous flushes.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use the upper radiator hose, while it is attached from the engine, but detached from the radiator to fill the block all the way up with coolant.

Once full, quickly put the hose back on the radiator outlet. Fill the radiator up until the coolant is almost at the level of the neck. Start the engine and kneed the upper and lower radiator hoses until all air is out.

You can tell this because it will no longer 'slush'

Quick Reply: Coolent System?