General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Front Suspension Repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 03:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Front Suspension Repair

Hey guys.

I hit the curb pretty hard on the front passenger side, and now the suspension is hanging lower than it should. I'll be having it all repaired, but I was hoping someone here could give me an idea as to what might be damaged that's resulting in the suspension falling lower, so I can get the new parts prepared.

Here's a picture:

Any suggestion is appreciated.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:29 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Given the ding on the wheel, I'd check the shock tower first and make sure it didn't come apart.

Good news - a place that deals in aluminum rim repair should be able to fix your wheel. I'd expect the tire is toast, though. If the curb bent the tire that much to get to the actual rim, you probably have internal damage and it may be permanently deformed. (I had the same thing happen to me with a super-massive pot hole, but my suspension and alignment was not altered.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you very much for the recommendation.

Upon inspecting the shock cylinder, I--along with the mechanic--was shocked to discover that neither the cylinder nor the shock had suffered any discernible damage:

Unfortunately, my steering will need an alignment, as the passenger wheel is tilting out slightly at the bottom in addition to the steering wheel not aligning with the traveling direction.

Quick Reply: Front Suspension Repair