General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Slow starting 5.7 issues.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 08:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow starting 5.7 issues.

My car now takes a while to start, you have to crank on the key a few times. I have a 99 Trans AM with 5.7. It used to fire right off with one turn of the key. Now I have to crank two or three times. Any ideas?
Old 04-13-2013, 11:06 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Dirty injector tips?

Fuel pump check valve failed (not holding fuel in the lines)?

Fuel pressure low?

Old/fouled spark plugs?

Bad tank of gas?
Old 04-13-2013, 11:06 AM
On The Tree

do you mean crank as in turn key off then back to start before it fires or it just turns over real slow? probably just your battery ready to take a bin laden
Old 04-15-2013, 02:44 PM
Teching In

We have to turn key on, let off, then turn back on again. I am thinking it may be the fuel pump check valve or fuel pump pressure. After it starts, it runs great. How much of a pain is getting to the fuel pump?
Old 04-15-2013, 08:25 PM
Staging Lane

It's most likely the check valve. It's a project changing the fuel pump. You must drop the rear end (remove sway bar ends, struts), exhaust, and the fuel tank.

When you change the pump, make sure the check valve works in the new one by bolting the whole thing together, but dont bolt the tank into the car yet. I had a brand new fuel pump come to me with a faulty check valve...

The best way to make sure the fuel pump check valve is bad, you need to purchase a fuel pressure gauge, and tap into the shrader valve on the engine. When you turn the key forward, you should build pressure and hold it. For instance if it's 65psi KOEO, it should remain at 65. If it drops in pressure rapidly without starting the engine you know it's bad.

Quick Reply: Slow starting 5.7 issues.