General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Trunk does not open pop open well ... Common?? Pull down??

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 11:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Trunk does not open pop open well ... Common?? Pull down??

Have not looked much into this but I have to push the trunk pop button several times before it will actually open.. On the 1st pop it opens a little but is still latched and have to push again...does my car have a trunk pull down that needs replacement or f-body's don't use a pull down motor??
99 ss
Old 04-14-2013, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with the trunk open, pull the felt trunk lining away to expose the trunk latch. you'll see a medium size spring in there connected to a lever. that lever is what pushes the trunk up to clear the latch when you push the button. the oem spring is not enough or gets weak over time causing the trunk to not open. pull the spring out and go to sears hardware, depot or lowes and pick up another spring slightly larger to cause the lever to push the trunk up better. new spring should be like $3.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:35 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This has been nagging me for awhile too. I'll pull that apart this week and get to Home Depot to see what I can find. Thanks.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm
Old 04-16-2013, 04:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed new hatch shocks making it is easier to open and close the hatch window. I don't have the spring on my 98 camaro that people advice to piggy back another one maybe its only on the 99-02 camaros. Imo, if your hatch shocks are worn replace the shocks.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:27 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by 98boxer
I installed new hatch shocks making it is easier to open and close the hatch window. I don't have the spring on my 98 camaro that people advice to piggy back another one maybe its only on the 99-02 camaros. Imo, if your hatch shocks are worn replace the shocks.
'98s have a different latch with no spring to replace nor add to.

The additional spring trick will work on on the '99-'02, but you are also correct about the hatch shocks. When they start to get weak, you'll have issues with the hatch popping even if you have a stronger and/or secondary spring installed. The extra spring worked on mine for a long time, but now that the shocks have gotten weaker it will sometimes not pop properly again.

Quick Reply: Trunk does not open pop open well ... Common?? Pull down??