General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Head gasket question

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head gasket question

Took my car to the dealership to get the coolant system pressure checked since my car was leaking coolant. Results are in and my driver side head gasket is leaking.

Car runs and drives just fine, but obviously leaves small puddles after a drive. I know I'm going to have to do the repair, and do both sides while it is apart.

I'm still really new to this car and have seen some recommendations. The dealership wants a ton of money to do the repairs but I found a local member on here and I'm talking to him later about doing the repair.

But any ways, to my question. What head gasket should I buy for the car? Plans for my car down the line are to do bolt on mods after more research.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:03 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

A fair labor price to do it in your driveway is about $300.00 for the entire job. It's actually very easy to do. I paid a guy $300.00 and he came to my house and did it. I basically watched and just helped out a little bit and learned. I would definitely do it all by myself next time. Easy...... It just takes a long time. It just takes patience. Lots of nuts and bolts. We had them off in about 2+ hours. Then I had the heads rebuilt. He came back the next week and put them on in about 3 hours. So about $50.00/hr for someone to come do it is fair......IMO.

Just use Felpro gaskets, that's all you need for a bolt on engine. If you have some cash and want some serious gaskets, spend about $150.00 if I remember, and get Cometic gaskets. I put those on mine when we did the head rebuild. They looked like new when we took my 427ci apart after the Cometics were on for 7 years of normally aspirated use.

Quick Reply: Head gasket question