General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Phantom A/C issue...

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 04:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Phantom A/C issue...

Strangest thing with my 01 TA (105k). The air conditioning was working fine, but then last week it starts blowing warm, ambient air. Check the clutch by hand and it spins freely. To make things confusing as soon as you switch the AC on the clutch kicks on, but no cold air comes out. Any ideas?
Old 05-28-2013, 05:52 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you may just need to recharge it. First thing I try when cold air stops blowing and recharging gets it going after 1 or 2 cans.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:53 PM
Teching In

I would've thought the low pressure switch would have kept the compressor from turning on if it were that low.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:06 PM
Teching In

Ok, there is an aluminum coupler that both of the lines junction into right before the black box on the fire wall. It is leaking at that coupler. I assume there are some o rings to be replaced?
Old 05-30-2013, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yup, being 10 years old if you value air conditioning you'll want a full AC service with a flush, new accumulator, pressure and vacuum test because if that one o-ring is leaking than good chance others are or soon will. actually get an o-ring kit for $10 and replace them all since you'll be undoing everything to flush. then have it charged properly. chances are if it's always worked till now and hasn't been messed with, your compressor is still good. you can check that before servicing by charging the system with a small can of r134a to get the compressor to stay running and check high/low pressures. if they are within reason then keep your compressor. the condition of the orifice tube will also give you an idea.
what's happening is when you turn the ac on, it takes 5 or more seconds for the low pressure side to go too low then kick the compressor off which is why it's not cooling.
other things to watch out for are any of the hoses that go from hard line to flexible rubber, where they are crimped can leak. so you may want to replace lines. the other is the low & high pressure service ports, replace those valves because they leak.

Quick Reply: Phantom A/C issue...