General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How do I keep my DRL bulbs from falling out? (Seriously.)

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 07:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I keep my DRL bulbs from falling out? (Seriously.)

V6 1998 Firebird. I've owned this car 2.5 years and I swear 90% of the time I spend on vehicle maintenance is spent fixing my ****ing DRLs. I'm at my wits end. The latest problem: bulbs fall out. They literally slide out of the socket as I'm driving along. Today I found each one sitting diagonally, halfway out of their respective sockets.

They are new bulbs. One socket is original, the other I replaced 2 months ago with a socket that is factory spec identical. The replacement socket (passenger side) worked fine and held the bulb fine when I installed it. 2 months later, the bulb slides out with the slightest nudge. As for the original socket (driver's side), I pushed the bulb back in and it appears to be snug, but if history repeats itself it will eventually slide back out.

These bulbs are only held in with friction, right? Looking at the bulb and the socket one would think they snap into place, but they don't.... right? Am I an idiot that can't figure how how to screw in a lightbulb or were our DRLs literally designed by Hitler?

Any help is appreciated. I'm trying to get this fixed before heading to the Nationals tomorrow morning...
Old 06-21-2013, 08:53 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Put some dielectric grease in there to see if that helps.

Also make sure you have the correct bulb.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The light bulb socket should rotate about 1/4 turn, and it has a clip which prevents it from un-rotating (you have to push the clip to un-rotate).
Old 06-22-2013, 09:40 AM
Teching In

I loaded it with dielectric grease but it still feels loose.

Originally Posted by joecar
The light bulb socket should rotate about 1/4 turn, and it has a clip which prevents it from un-rotating (you have to push the clip to un-rotate).
I'm talking about keeping the bulb in the socket, not keeping the socket in the housing.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Then you need a new socket.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by joecar
Then you need a new socket.
I got new sockets out a old gmc van in a junk yard because autozone didnt carry thwm and tge special order was something ridiculous like 40 dollars a piece but they are super snug I was afraid of breaking the bulbs. The sockets had a rubber foam seal to keep the socket tight and water proof seal in the housing make sure your housings are factory aswell
Old 06-26-2013, 10:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The bulb should snap in pretty tightly to the socket. If it doesn't, either the socket is bad or you have the wrong bulbs.

I suspect the birds use the same socket as the Camaros, and Autozone's computers are stupid. Just go to the bulb and socket aisle and pick up a "standard GM socket" - part number on the package is 85881. Like 10 bucks or something.

Quick Reply: How do I keep my DRL bulbs from falling out? (Seriously.)