General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Hard start issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard start issues

need some help making a decision on the causes for occasional hard start in the mornings, when I first crank the motor over it wont start. let go of the key and then immediately try again and it starts just fine. I suspect that the pressure in the fuel rails has dropped and full pressure is not there ,on the second attempt it is, The engines then runs fine and I have no problems starting it for awhile. Reading the forum makes me believe that the fuel pressure regulator is not up to par. The fuel pump is quiet as can be. I have read about the various ways to do a pump swap due to both the regulator and the pump being in the tank. I have no problem with the swap as long as it is the best course of action to fix this issue. The car is a 02 Trans am LS1. it has been in storage since around 05 and driven on occasion and I have had it about 6 weeks. I bought it from a collector. The fuel and all fluids are new. what are the possibility's here for an upgrade to the pump and regulator, and where is the best place to get the highest quality parts from. only want to do this once. Being an old school hot rodder I learned long ago that when it comes to parts quality wins every time. I am new to the LS1 engine family and the electronics that go with it. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Hard start issues