General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How to keep a leak free car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 04:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to keep a leak free car?

Anyone have any tips for keeping a leak free car?
I always do a thorough job cleaning gasket surfaces and pay attention to torque specs, etc but my vehicles always manage to get leaks.

I leak a small amount of coolant on the pass side (I am assuming the hose clamps are the issue because if i move them around it usually stops for a while).

Developed a PS leak (also think the hose clamp is an issue here too)

I have an ls2 that was put together fresh and my pan leaks a tiny bit of oil every once in a while.

Im gonna check the pan bolts and switch to some real screw type hose clamps, but anyone have any other general wisdom?
Old 07-02-2013, 05:21 PM
Teching In

Don't change any fluids....dirt clogs leaks.

Realistically though it is hit or miss. There are a lot of moving parts, a lot of harsh chemicals, and a lot of hot and cold cycles during the life of an engine. A properly sealed oil pan shouldn't be leaking, especially not right away. Is the oil pan gasket a real gasket or just silicone on these cars? If it's silicone it could be re-done next time your oil is changed, if it's a gasket you could use some silicone around both sides of the gasket to help it seal. Clamps can easily be replaced, but while you have the hose clamps off double check for split ends on the hoses or marks where someone has grabbed them with pliers and twisted them to get them loose as that can sometimes cause small tears in the hoses.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:46 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Replace anything compressible or made out of or using rubber (hoses, seals, gaskets, shocks) every 10 years.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:19 AM

Sometimes I think Godzilla has tightened some hose clamps I've seen. Way over-torqued to the point where rubber is protruding out of the slots. That and improper bends that stress the rubber (especially under pressure) are big issues that I've seen lead to early hose failure. When it comes to gaskets, a well prepped surface is important. A little silicone also helps in those situations where the mating surfaces are not square.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:38 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by pHEnomIC
I leak a small amount of coolant on the pass side (I am assuming the hose clamps are the issue because if i move them around it usually stops for a while).
Its about the time for the internal seals on the water pump (if it wasn't new when your LS2 was put together) to be going south. If you can't see where the leak is coming from, it may be from the pump weep hole.

Originally Posted by pHEnomIC
Developed a PS leak (also think the hose clamp is an issue here too)
Or the pressure hose could just be going bad. (very common) The clamps that connect the rubber to the metal pieces are factory applied and can't be tightened. The hoses in this thread are similar, but I haven't seen anyone try this with a pressure hose... (That may not be advised.)

You should also make sure you aren't getting fluid from reservoir boil-overs - very common also. A simple (but messy) PS fluid change should take care of that.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:42 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is just the hoses & not a hairline crack in the radiator side tank(which is stupid plastic), then replacing the hoses/clamps might cure that right up. I tracked a leak on mine for a week before I realized it was a crack in the radiator which would only leak after it was fully pressured & hot.

Power steering gives alot of guys problems. Do you still have the stock PS cooler? If so I always suggest removing that & installing a separate tube/fin style cooler with fresh hoses. I suggest this cause of the number of times I have seen them rupture on guys allowing PS fluid to mix with coolant. This happened to me as well.

For the oil pan, check the bolts & make sure they are properly torqued, if this doesnt fix it toss a new pan gasket at it & see if this works.

Other than that just normal maintenance is about all you can do. Keep an eye on things & replace any old hoses or rubber connection under the hood once you notice them looking cracked or weathered.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've found one thing to be true, it takes a very very small amount of oil, to make a leak look good sized. A drop of oil can spread out and cover quite a bit. I hate leaks too, but there are some u stress over, and someu just keep an eye on.

Quick Reply: How to keep a leak free car?