General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

96 LT1 Formula wont start anymore HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 11:50 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 LT1 Formula wont start anymore HELP

Ill try to keep it short. Replaced fuel pump, coil, plugs 6 months ago. Purchased an ICM on Ebay but when I installed it, car was hard to start when warm so I put the old back in which was fine but figured I would replace it with the coil.

Anyway 6 months later I was just sitting idling in park when it started to stumble, sputter and just shut off. I killed the bat trying to restart. Towed it to my house put on a bat charger for a while and started right up. I proceeded to drive about 15 min and it just died again.

Towed to mechanic, did some tests and narrowed it to ICM. I remembered I had that ICM in my toolbox so I installed and it started right up again. Figured I would make sure so I plugged the old ICM in and would not start so I put the toolbox one on. Drove it home and died once again. If I let it sit a bit I could get it to run for a few minutes.

I remembered that the ICM had issues so I purchased a new one at Advance auto. Installed and car started and ran for a few min and then died again after spitting and sputtering for a few minutes. I could get it to start for a brief moment with each attempt but now it just wont start at all.

What are the chances of 3 bad ICM's...Not likely huh? Anyway, Im at a standstill and dont know what to try next. Unfortunately I lost my fuel pressure gauge so I cant check that.

Any advice or help would be appreciated...I need my car back
Old 07-29-2013, 09:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Battery or alt. going out?
I know when my fuel pump died, my car would rarely start and died almost immediately.
I'm not sure on lt1 cars, but can't you unscrew a cap at the fuel rail and press the schrader valve to check for any pressure?
Hell, you could probably even listen for the fuel pump.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:58 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the reply. Yes I can hear the fuel pump kick on when I turn the key but my bad one did the same. Checking the pressure without a gauge really doesnt tell me anything. There could be pressure but not enough so I really dont know what else to try. Any other good tips or advice?

Thanks

Quick Reply: 96 LT1 Formula wont start anymore HELP