General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Steering concern

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 04:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering concern

My car started doing something with the steering recently, just after I had it aligned. I had them set camber at 0.8 to 1.0 deg negative. I had just installed BMR lowering A arms. When I turn, the car seems to turn normally, but the wheel stays shifted towards the direction I turned, left or right. It's as if there is play in the steering. I think toe - in is good, I just had it done. The wheel can be centered going straight, then I take a right turn and then the wheel stays turned more to the right while going straight after the turn. Make any sense? The car drives and handles good otherwise, it doesn't pull one way or the other. I just wonder if something is going bad.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

chances are when they aligned it the negative camber caused them to be able to achieve less positive caster, which is what helps the wheels straighten out after a turn (I believe)

I was unhappy with my car after a recent alignment, went under with a prybar and maxed out the + caster, car feels way better all around. I'm going to take it back to have the toe corrected and tell them not to touch the rest.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:23 PM
Launching!

That could be. I spoke with the technician at the time - he said camber was right where I wanted it - he didn't mess with it and only adjusted toe in. With my new A-arms caster very well might have changed, and the technician simply didn't mess with it. I'll probably just do it all myself. I have the big ramps I need already, just a few more things and I can do it all in my garage.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like you are saying your steering wheel is off center after a turn?
do you have any dead zone in the steering like +/- 10° from center?
sounds like what you are describing is a worn steering gear that's getting sloppy. sometimes having more toe in can reduce the affects and make steering feel tighter but only to a certain point. with car off and being under the car with steering wheel unlocked, rotate the steering shaft going into the rack and observe the output of the rack. if the wheels are on the ground and you can rotate the steering shaft a decent amount then you have a worn steering gear
Old 08-26-2013, 05:55 PM
Launching!

Well, I adjusted caster all the way positive, making sure it is equal left and right sides. That took care of it. Weird how much of a difference it made. Come to think of it, I've never driven a car with caster out of adjustment before. Bad thing is I just had it aligned at a shop. Guess I'll be doing it all myself from now on. And yes, I adjusted camber and toe-in after. The replies I got here did help - sent me in the right direction.

Quick Reply: Steering concern