General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Steering gets stiff at certain points

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering gets stiff at certain points

I just got my car back on the road after about 2 years worth of work, and I'm having a weird issues with the steering.

It will turn normally except at certain points at which it gets stiff and takes a lot of pressure to turn. Then after those stiff areas it acts normal again.

There are 3-5 points where this happens turning lock-to-lock in both directions.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-10-2013, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The universal joints on the steering shaft may be starting to seize up. I had major issues with my steering system from the car becoming very hot. The plastic bushings in the steering column melted and the rubber bushing in the steering shaft also softened from the heat.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Orange Juice
The universal joints on the steering shaft may be starting to seize up. I had major issues with my steering system from the car becoming very hot. The plastic bushings in the steering column melted and the rubber bushing in the steering shaft also softened from the heat.
This is what I'm thinking it might be. I also forgot to turn the wheel lock-to-lock a few times when I was filling fluids.

It's either this or air in the lines I think.

I have another steering shaft lying around though, so I guess I will be doing some part switching tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Steering gets stiff at certain points