General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

What Tune-up Parts to Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 07:01 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What Tune-up Parts to Buy?

Hi guys/gals,

I'm preparing to tune up my first LS motor. The car has 73k miles, with an M6 and is stock except lid, bellow and 80 series crapmaster (soon to be replaced with a cat-back).

My plan is to change plugs, wires, PCV and all fluids. I was just going to go the stock route with AC Delco stuff but what do you guys recommend - especially on the fluids?

Also, any tips for changing all of this stuff is appreciated as well.

Thanks!
Old 08-17-2013, 07:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Add a fuel filter to your parts list. As far as fluids I have used both GM and NAPA in both the transmission and in the rear end. Haven't had any problems with those 2 brands. The NAPA brand was the cheaper of the 2.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:16 AM
Staging Lane

Good catch on the FF. In my head as a normal part of the tune-up but it's early so it didn't make it to my fingertips.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

Castrol Edge Synthetic 5w-30, synthetic diff fluid, flush the brake fluid, power steering fluid too, and sythetic trans fluid. the more synthetic fluids the better, but not neccessary IMHO, BUT definitly use it in the engine. I use Mobil One high milage 5W30 with Lucas Synthetic oil stabilizer in place of one quart of oil(thats just me though) and motor runs wicked except the expected valve train noise. I know synthetics are controversial but we run synthetic oil in the turbine engines where i work and well, good enough for a turbine engine turning 18-22k rpm its good for anything. Id also pull the belt off (and the one for the a/c) and check the pullies, tensioner etc. oh yea, use distilled water and that Dexcool stuff when you flush the cooling system. distilled water=less minerals to react with the aluminum.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:51 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dont forget to do the brake fluid and clutch (Use Ranger method)

My personal fluid brands:

Brake and Clutch: Motul RBF600
Oil: German Castrol
Rearend: Redline
Trans: GM Syncromesh
Old 08-18-2013, 03:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Fluids in my car:

Oil: Mobil 1 Synthetic
Trans: Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF
Coolant: Prestone

Clutch fluid: Prestone DOT3 (http://performanceworks1.com/ls1_clutch_bleeding.htm and http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...al-issues.html)

Rear: Lucas 85w-140 non synthetic gear oil with GM additive
Old 08-18-2013, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Since you got a lid, I'm assuming you keep your Air Filter nice and clean, but make sure to check that also. When I got my car, it still had the original filter from 99', I'm surprised it even started A new one really woke it up.

As for fluids, I use Mobile 1 Synthetic Oil and regular prestone coolant. But fluids are fluids, just make sure you buy the right stuff and the brand is up to you

Quick Reply: What Tune-up Parts to Buy?