General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car not turning over (Yes I searched)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 10:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car not turning over (Yes I searched)

So I got up this morning to take the car to get tuned and it wouldn't turn over. I figured it was the battery since it got cold last night, tried to jump it and nothing.
So I dove into Tech and was blown away by tons of possible different problems; great! I thought the starter just took a poop so I BFH'd it and nothing. I did the multiple turn and hold thing and nothing.
All the lights come on and the car doesn't seem to be low on power so I don't think its a battery issue. However, the security light does BLINK while I'm trying to start the car and for the life of me I can't remember if it use to do that or not. I read a little into the VATS stuff (confusing as ****!) so I'm wondering if its that or just a bad starter.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 10-16-2013, 10:50 AM
Teching In

PS I'm pretty sure I hear the pump priming when I turn the key. That's why I am unsure if it's VATS.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slow01z
PS I'm pretty sure I hear the pump priming when I turn the key. That's why I am unsure if it's VATS.
If the security light is flashing, it is VATS issue which disables the starter and injector drive. You can use a resistor to trick the security (I'm sure you read about that), or getting it tuned out should do the trick.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This vats crap has me nervous of buying another fbody, how much does it cost to get it "tuned out" and if so is that all you need to do to never have to worry about it again? Also if the car is later stolen and somehow the insurance company finds out you tampered with vats can they deny a claim?
Old 10-17-2013, 02:29 PM
Teching In

It was the VATS system. Thanks
Old 10-17-2013, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by anotherreject04
This vats crap has me nervous of buying another fbody, how much does it cost to get it "tuned out" and if so is that all you need to do to never have to worry about it again? Also if the car is later stolen and somehow the insurance company finds out you tampered with vats can they deny a claim?
I wouldn't worry about it too much. As far as I know, tuning it out solves all issues with it. A mail order tune is probably $150 or so.

Also, I highly doubt an insurance company would investigate whether you disabled the security system on the car. They would have to know what they are doing and let's be honest, most appraisers aren't going to be car experts.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh ok thanks lt1pwr1

Quick Reply: Car not turning over (Yes I searched)