General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

power steering

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 04:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering

I have coolant in my power steering and my question is, can you just plug the line from under the pump to the cooler? Would it have any negative results by not running a cooler? Car is an 02 trans am
Old 02-17-2014, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Exarth
I have coolant in my power steering and my question is, can you just plug the line from under the pump to the cooler? Would it have any negative results by not running a cooler? Car is an 02 trans am
I just removed my power steering factory cooler because of this problem. I took off the OEM one, and installed a power steering cooler behind my stainless air dam. If you search, you will also read that alot don't even run a cooler at all. After I did it, the temp here went to 5 degrees. I drove the car and found no problems at all. I also have a 02 trans am.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:47 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Your cooler has a hole in it, so it would be best to remove it completely.

You could bypass the cooler and then connect a short hose between the two P/S ports to keep you coolant from leaking out but tossing the cooler out and replacing the radiator hose with a solid non-cooler part would be more solid.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:17 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This has been hashed out to death. You'll find plenty of info so as to make your own decision on whether to run a cooler or not: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...g-success.html

Quick Reply: power steering