General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

help! driver side window motor/door is FUBAR

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 04:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy help! driver side window motor/door is FUBAR

Hi all, so i bought my Z28 a couple of weeks ago and finally had a nice day to start fixing some minor issues, one being the driver side window doesnt go all the way up at the front. I consulted the window adjustment thread and pulled the door panel off only to find that the previous owner has FUBARed this window motor and door. Looks like he put a new motor in it, and riveted it to the door which is all well and good unless you dont know what the fudge you are doing. The rivets are hanging out and not tight, and since he couldnt get the rivets right i guess he figured glueing the rivet heads to the door would be a great idea... it wasn't, and thus causing the motor to move around when operating the window and causing the fiberclass to be carved out. I dont know what to do. Fiberglass repair? epoxy? try new rivets? BOLTS? I am usually very good at just getting things done but this has me freaked out. The car is freshly painted and i dont want to have to get a door. Maybe i'm overreacting here. Advice is welcome, and here are some pics.

As you can see the bottom left rivet has totally screwed up the door, when i work the window the motor moves all around and gouges the door every time.

Last edited by MattyJ540; 02-22-2014 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

those are not the rivets for the motor, they hold the window regulator in place. remove the rivets and reposition the regulator and use fender washers under the new rivets. it that doesn't work you may have to make a backing plate.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:35 PM
Teching In

AHA! well i feel stupid now but thanks for the input! i will try your advice tomorrow. Thank you!
Old 02-24-2014, 01:00 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

^^^ This won't work. The door is shot and you need to do the plate fix.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-included.html

It looks like a PO tried to fix the problem with epoxy, but you need to add some metal, bonded to the door, to give the regulator a new solid mounting surface.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wssix99
^^^ This won't work. The door is shot and you need to do the plate fix.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-included.html

It looks like a PO tried to fix the problem with epoxy, but you need to add some metal, bonded to the door, to give the regulator a new solid mounting surface.
Awesome thank you so much for the link. Looks like this is what i'm doing Saturday.

Quick Reply: help! driver side window motor/door is FUBAR