General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Wheel of Fortune sound coming from rear? Video

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 08:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel of Fortune sound coming from rear? Video

I'm getting a knocking clicking noise coming from my rear. It sounds identical to the wheel of fortune noise when they give the wheel a spin. The noise lessens when in gear. When the clutch is in or in N the sound is louder. But with my exhaust I can hear it over the radio or car unless I'm looking for it with the radio off. I feel a slight clicking in the shifter that goes with the noise. You only hear it between 0-20mph. I only hear it from the right rear wheel. Today it sounded like it was coming from the driveshaft area. When I was turning into my driveway I heard a slow rotation and clunking noise from the tunnel. I'm Almost positive it's not the rear because it's a rebuilt rear with 13k and 4:10 gears and not track times and no dumping of the clutch. I've narrowed it down to rear wheel bearing or driveshaft. And I think the drive shaft has been going bad for awhile. Here's someone with a video of the exact sound I was having.

http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?1,1483283
Old 04-06-2014, 12:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Drive shafts don't go bad the u joints do.

I would suggest changing your rear diff fluid and inspecting the wheel bearings. Also make sure the exhaust isn't hitting the drive shaft
Old 04-06-2014, 08:34 PM
10 Second Club

Get under there and inspect the u-joints first. Start by pushing the driveshaft around and see if there is any slop in them, then take the rear of the driveshaft loose and move the joint by hand to see if it has any rough spots. Any looseness or roughness and you should do u-joints, most of the time the rear joint wears out way before the front because it tends to move more so start there. If you don't find anything you may want to pop your rotors off and make sure the parking brake didn't come apart. Best of luck.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:08 AM
Teching In

That's what I plan on doing this weekend. My grandfather also mentioned something along the lines of the parking brake. I bought new fluid and additives for the rear to add I think I should be serviced anyway being a rebuild with 15k on it. I've narrowed it down to U Joints or bearing. But parking brake seems possible since my parking hasn't worked in 2 years. Sorry it took long to reply I'm working two jobs and going to school

Quick Reply: Wheel of Fortune sound coming from rear? Video