General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car not starting

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 08:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car not starting

I have a 2000 camaro ss (m6) and all of a sudden the car won't start. It never gave me any fits prior to today. When I try to start the car it only clicks once and I can hear the fuel pump prime. The battery is relatively new (replaced roughly six months ago). I don't believe this is a vats issue due to the fact that the security light doesn't stay on. I searched and believe this is a bad starter but don't want to just throw parts at it until I can verify that the starter is the issue. Any suggestions on what may be the culprit?
Old 04-14-2014, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can jump a wire from the 12v post near the fuse box to the starter pole at the relay. You will have to pull the relay and do a little research to figure out which pin it is - sorry I don't remember exactly which one it is but I did troubleshoot like that once and it turned out to be a VATS issue. My starter did start turning, but with VATS there was no fuel supply. But at least gave me an idea that starter was good.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:38 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the advice. Just to follow up, I ended up replacing the starter and it started up right away. I'm just glad it decided to wait until I was parked at home to quit working.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:48 PM

VATS Stole my Car!
2002 Camaro v6 auto
I just picked it up for cheap because the previous owner got locked out by the VATS system. He said that it happend right after he was trying to install a stereo.Today I started sorting through the mess of wires, I think ive figured out which are stereo, but theres a blue wire and a green/white wire and im not sure if they are part of the stereo harness or what. There is also a red and black plug that has no apperant plače to go and doesnt really look factory but idk. The car cranks great but definatly sounds like its starving for gas....thanks VATS

The light stays on solid, doesnt blink. I would start by bypassing the VATS with a couple resistors but Im guessing the problém has do do with the wiring and not the key or ignition switch/tumbler.where are all the VATS components Located?
I want to trace all the wires and make sure nothing got hacked or pulled out. Schematic Anyone? Can I take voltage readings anywhere to try to trouble shoot?
Heres some pictures of what im looking at...tomorrow im gonna pull the steering wheel and get a look at the VATS wiring at the key as ive read this is common...HELP PLEASE!dum

Quick Reply: Car not starting