General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Replacing Slave Cylinder...what else should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 10:33 AM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Replacing Slave Cylinder...what else should I do?

Have issues with the clutch sticking to the floor under hard acceleration. Thought it might be the master, so replaced with a Tick Adjustable master. Master turned out to be fine, so the shop suspects that it may be the slave cylinder. They said that because replacing the slave cylinder requires removing the transmission, that I should just go ahead and replace my clutch while I am at it. Car is a 2001 WS6 M6 with 100k miles. Is there anything else I should be replacing when I do all of this? I've never done this project before, so I was wondering if anyone could suggest a list of parts I should order for this. Car is mostly stock, so I was thinking of going with an LS7 clutch. Which slave cylinder should I get? I'll need to order a "bearing" of some sort as well I'm told? Thanks in advance for your guidance.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

http://www.tickperformance.com/gm-sl...-firebird-ls1/

http://www.tickperformance.com/tick-...camaro-firebird/

Make sure to get new clutch fluid (I use Motul RBF600 Synthetic DOT 4 Brake Fluid). Check your rear main seal, if it looks rotted/oily you should change it, otherwise leave you can leave it alone IMO.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:41 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Is the factory slave cylinder adequate, or should I go for something upgraded to prevent this from happening in the future?
Old 05-14-2014, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Yea, quoting the GM slave description:

The weak link in the factory hydraulic setup is the master cylinder, so there is no need to upgrade your slave - just keep it fresh.
You already have the Tick master so you're good.

Quick Reply: Replacing Slave Cylinder...what else should I do?