General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Overheating issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 12:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating issue

02 z28 started to get really hot recently. Usually it's at 210 and sits there all day, but recently it'll spike and get uncomfortably hot.

Today was by far the worst, got super close to the red, light came on pulled over but as soon as I stopped the gauge dropped back down to 210 ish and stayed there till I got home about 10 minutes after that.

What could be causing this? Car is 100% stock apart from a lid and a axle back put on by the PO.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked anti freeze and check if fans are kicking on? Next step would be a pressure test for head gaskets and then check water pump
Old 11-09-2014, 01:32 PM
Teching In

Yet to check anti freeze, will later when I know it's cool. Fans do indeed kick on though
Old 11-09-2014, 01:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mr.pink
Yet to check anti freeze, will later when I know it's cool. Fans do indeed kick on though
That would have been the very first thing I did, you should be able to take the cap off 30 min after u drive it,
Old 11-09-2014, 05:28 PM
Teching In

****, took right around half a gallon of coolant. Think I have a crack the tank/battery box and is allowing the coolant to evaporate out when it's hot.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:17 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mr.pink
****, took right around half a gallon of coolant. Think I have a crack the tank/battery box and is allowing the coolant to evaporate out when it's hot.
You had yourself a little air bubble sitting up against the tstat since it was so low on coolant.

You should be fine after refilling.

BUT.....I would drive it around till it gets up to operating temp....then come back home and drive the front end up on ramps......get under it with a flashlight and try to find a leak. Check your water pump....bottom center where the weep hole is. If you see none.....wait 20 minutes and come back later and look again........

I would also pop the overflow hose off the port to see if any coolant is being lost that way.....if it is you just need a new radiator cap.

Quick Reply: Overheating issue