General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Nasty Steering Slop

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 04:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Nasty Steering Slop

Its a 96 Camaro Z28 with 196k. Well needless to say my camaro's steering is really bad. Since i have all poly bushings in the suspension it exaggerates how bad it is. From on center right or left feels like its connected to nothing there is no feedback nothing about 2-3 inches atleast right or left from on center and then it dives into the corner not progressive at all. Not sure if its because there's no deflection due to the poly bushings so it responds quick or what. I haven't yet installed my suspension mods still sitting in my room, other then bushings suspension is completely stock.

Figured it would be even worse then it is now if I did install the rest. I want to get a quicker ratio steering. Were can I buy it from and maybe kill to birds with one stone with this steering issue. Sorry in advance if its not specific enough any help is appreciated.

Last edited by karpetcm; 11-17-2014 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 118 Posts

vehicle info ? mileage ?
Old 11-17-2014, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
vehicle info ? mileage ?
Sorry about that I edited the post. Its about 196,000 miles 96 Z28 M6.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:22 PM
TECH Addict

RAG JOINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LT1 cars have the rag joint in the steering coupler that go bad and cause slop, choices are either a rag joint eliminator, google "rag joint eliminator unbalanced engineering"
or to swap the entire steering rack AND the steering coupler from an LS1 car, must be an LS1 car, even the later v6 bodies still used the rag joint.

really just comes down to budget tho as to which to do.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you for the advice I went ahead and emailed them.

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
RAG JOINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LT1 cars have the rag joint in the steering coupler that go bad and cause slop, choices are either a rag joint eliminator, google "rag joint eliminator unbalanced engineering"
or to swap the entire steering rack AND the steering coupler from an LS1 car, must be an LS1 car, even the later v6 bodies still used the rag joint.

really just comes down to budget tho as to which to do.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:23 PM
TECH Addict

should also mention, the rag joint is easy to confirm as the problem by simply looking at it while someone moves the wheel back and forth.

there is a plastic cover that goes over the rag joint, once you pop that off you can watch it to see if it deforms when turning which will confirm it.

it could also just be the steering rack or even (least likely) the u-joints in the steering coupler could be going out, so I would confirm the rag joint before buying anything.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you for the advice I will for sure check it first.

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
should also mention, the rag joint is easy to confirm as the problem by simply looking at it while someone moves the wheel back and forth.

there is a plastic cover that goes over the rag joint, once you pop that off you can watch it to see if it deforms when turning which will confirm it.

it could also just be the steering rack or even (least likely) the u-joints in the steering coupler could be going out, so I would confirm the rag joint before buying anything.

Quick Reply: Nasty Steering Slop