General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Oil Usage

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Oil Usage

My WS6 has been using oil since I bought it with 36k few years ago, easily 1qt the 1st thous miles after a oil change increasing to a 1qt every 500 miles. It also had a odd shaky idle at cold start for 2 mins. The intake gaskets were leaking, it was starting to ping. I had the intake gaskets changed and while changing them discovered the intake full of oily crap. After the intake gasket change it idled better cold but still wasn't quite right. I bought a carbon cleaner to run through the engine to help clean up the oil and carbon. I was sure the oil was getting on the plugs making it shake cold. I noticed number 2 plug had burnt oil residue on it.

Well there was so much build up it partially blocked up the cats so I took it to a guy that has a professional cleaning system made by Envirotech. He hooked it up and it took about 20 mins, also added a oil booster product to the oil, its a 2 oz bottle very thin that is supposed to get into everything. I also added about 3ozs of DEX6 to the oil.

At 1st it still idled a little rough cold but after 100 miles it idles completely smooth cold like it should and it hasn't used a drop of oil.
Sometimes in this cold weather I was adding a qt a week!.

I'm sure piston rings were pasted with carbon, these products cleaned all the carbon off and freed them. The car also gained some power it didn't have before.

So if you have stock LS1 with more than 40k on it that uses a lot of oil your rings my be that pasted up causing the problem.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

This car is like the weather, but I think some of the trouble is the valve seals leaking. I put some TransX in the engine oil to swell up the pickup tube oring because it leaking air into the oil stream. This also seems to have help the oil usage, I have to think it swelled the valve seals some but I still have a funky cold idle with no codes. It shakes around a bit for the 1st min or so then as soon as the 02's are active its smooth as silk.

I've run into this before but it was always a vacuum leak. I had a reliable mechanic replace the intake gaskets and I went over everything with him. There are no obvious vacuum leaks and the fuel trims are 0. Lifters are quiet and its runs great.

I'm thinking valve seals leaking oil cold fouling the plugs a little till it warms up. I think when I take it to get the oring changed i'm going to have the valve seals dome too.

Quick Reply: Oil Usage