General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

T56 swap shifting issues and serpentine whine

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 03:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 swap shifting issues and serpentine whine

Ok so first thing first

Serpentine whine. I replaced all ac pulleys, belt tensioner and idler. still get this clunking metallic sounding noise that usually goes away with some driving. I did notice that my alternator spun with little resistance when I was changing things. So any ideas?

Shifting...My car used to be an auto and was swapped prior to owning. I replaced the hurst shifter with a B&M and while it feels great now shortly after I had small shifting issues. Going into reverse while driving(once), not always wanting to go into gear or reverse but would with some force. Now I cant shift into reverse unless the car is off, usually doesnt like to go in gear period. Sometimes when shift at low speeds or in first with 2-3 load rolling around it sounds like a giant metal bird god is making a giant metal bird god call.......like idk how to describe it. The clutch is pretty soft but I fear its more something else.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like your reverse lockout and skip shift solenoid wiring are messed up

I had a similar problem when I did mine, the car wouldn't shift into second unless I was going over 5mph
Old 03-03-2015, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

We had the same problem with my son's 01 ss when trying to go in reverse. The clutch disk was not releasing all the way and could not put it in gear. If you are correct in saying with the engine off put it in gear and then press clutch pedal and fire engine, does the car fill like it is moving any at all? If that is the case then your clutch disk is not disengaging from the flywheel.

Cause could be slave cylinder not extending fully! Bad slave? May need to shim the slave cylinder, depends on which clutch is in the car. Some after market cluthes you have to be shim the slave cylinder to get full travel.

Clutch disk could be bent!

Bad pressure plate not releasing!

The problem we found with our application was the disk was bent and still touched the flywheel just enough to keep the input shaft rotating and could not engage or shift into gear. This would happen after the clutch heated up.
We installed a new clutch disk and problem solved.

Last edited by 2011grandsport; 03-03-2015 at 04:16 PM. Reason: added line
Old 03-03-2015, 08:50 PM
Launching!

ITs a ls6 clutch and just started having this issue, sometimes I would put it in gear and the car would try and move with the clutch depressed so maybe its time for a new slave and my master clicks when i depress it soooooo maybe that needs replaced finally too.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by silent_soul
ITs a ls6 clutch and just started having this issue, sometimes I would put it in gear and the car would try and move with the clutch depressed so maybe its time for a new slave and my master clicks when i depress it soooooo maybe that needs replaced finally too.
the problem you are describing is an indication that the pressure plate is not getting enough contact from the slave and throw out bearing to release the clutch disc. this can be from the clutch being very worn and thin in combination to the flywheel and pressure plate being extremely worn.

check your clutch fluid resevoir to see if it is low on fluid or extremely dirty fluid. you can bleed the slave and see if it solves any xlutxh release problems.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like the master or PP gave it up. I would try the master first. If you can unplug the master from the slave under the car and then apply moderate pressure to the pedal for a couple minutes. If the pedal beings to sink the master is done. Although it still may be even if it passes this test.

If you can afford it replace it with a tick mc as the factory one really is too tiny for any spirited driving. Also try not to drive the car much as trying to shift it like that will hurt the trans and then you will be looking at more for a rebuild

Quick Reply: T56 swap shifting issues and serpentine whine