General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

To-Do List? Been sitting outside for the winter...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 08:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To-Do List? Been sitting outside for the winter...

So my '02 z28 has been stuck outside for the Chicago winter. Only today has it thawed enough to be driven. On the bright side, it fired up like a charm and drove with no major issues. (still pulls left badly, but that's a story for another post...) Brakes a little soft, PS fluid looked low, but everything else checked out OK.

What should my pre-race season to-do list look like? I've never let it sit this long...I know for sure I need to do oil, brake fluid, brake pads (and maybe rotors...these are starting to crack despite being damned near brand new. Thanks Pep Boys...).

Rear end oil (aftermarket s-60)? Some kind of flush of the fuel tank/system? Any checks I should do for something that won't/didn't manifest on the first drive?

Also, any idea why it still pulls really left, despite having a dealer align the suspension?
Old 03-10-2015, 07:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a tire go bad from sitting over winter. swap front tires side to side and see if it pulls to the other side, if so, bad tire
Old 03-10-2015, 08:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

If you drove the car before winter then just do whatever you'd normally do. There's nothing you specifically need to do after the car has been sitting a few months besides check the tires and fluids like you did.

All I do is change the oil at the beginning of every spring because I usually drive the car enough to where it has to be done before I put it away and Imo there's no point to putting fresh oil in the car when it's going to sit for 4 months.

It might be a good idea to do a brake and power steering flush depending on when the last time was you got them done.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seemed to get a bit better after topping off the PS fluid. I definitely need to do a brake flush, maybe this weekend. I'll try swapping the wheels as suggested, thanks!
Old 03-13-2015, 10:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 598 Likes on 413 Posts

Check battery power!! Cold weather is so hard on a car battery.

Quick Reply: To-Do List? Been sitting outside for the winter...