General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How to check rear end fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 05:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to check rear end fluid?

My rear differential has a very slow leak. I am going to fix it soon, but in the mean time I have read that as long as I keep the level good I will be ok.

How do you guys check and top off the fluid on the 10 bolt? I haven't been able to find any results online.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

There's a fill hole on the side of the case. I believe it opens with a 3/4 inch ratchet. If I am remembering correctly from when I changed the fluid it's on the passenger side. Just open it up and stick your finger in to feel for the fluid level. It should be just below the hole as long as the differential is completely level. As usual be prepared to clean up if fluid comes out. If I were you I would just go ahead and change the fluid. If you need to know what to do and what to buy just ask. As far as filling it up with fluid, they make a hand pump that will pump the gear oil through a tube into the case.

I didn't change mine until 85,000 miles soon after I bought the car. The magnet on the cover was covered in metal shavings.

Plus you get a cool look at the inside of the differential. It was the first time I've even tried to open up a differential and it was pretty easy.

Last edited by jaxcam02; 03-27-2015 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:48 AM
Launching!

Pumps never work for me, always cram the bottles up there and fill until it starts overflowing. New gasket and sealant for the diff cover, clean very good, install, let dry and fill up pretty straight forward.

I think the end of a 3/8 ratchet works well for the fill plug.

Also, I used brake cleaner to flush out the gears before closing her back up, just wipe it out good with paper towls and let dry.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you've got smaller fingers, stick your finger in the fill hole. If it comes out with fluid on it, you're good. Or you can use a rolled up paper towel. To fill it, I just use a short section of fuel line hose on the bottle and let gravity do the work.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if the leak is from the pinion seal and not from between the housing and rear cover, then if you park the car with nose higher that'll help slow/stop that leak. if you park downhill then that'll make the front pinion seal leak worse obviously.

when you fill the rear axle with oil you want the car basically level front to back, and mostly level left to right. it doesn't have to be exact, and you just fill the housing till it starts coming out the fill hole then put the plug back in. the plug accepts the 3/8" square ratchet head of any common ratchet, the 3/4" size ratchet is the huge one... that i use on my 28mm hub nut on my truck torqued to 180 lb-ft

and if you want to use a gasket on the rear cover, it's felpro RDS55072 price $5 at any parts store. i prefer the gasket vs using rtv. whichever you choose is personal preference, either way the hardest part is getting cover off initially, managing the mess, and cleaning the mating surfaces while not dumping debris into the housing.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:50 AM
Launching!

The hardest part of working on the diff.........IS THE SMELL!

Quick Reply: How to check rear end fluid?