General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Starting issue after alt swap.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 07:39 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Starting issue after alt swap.

Okay, this morning I swapped in a kg3 alt into my 02 formula. I had the sitting in my garage for about a year. I'd originally bought it when the factory alt quit on me, but for the time being I had swapped another 105amp Delco unit in from another car, just to get around. Well I decided to put in the 145amp alt this morning, and the car started fine, but wasn't charging. I figured the alt could be bad and I would have it tested, so I put the 105amp alt back in until i get it sorted out. Nothing else was changed, everything is hooked up as it was. I've double and triple checked, but now the car won't start. I get a click, once, then not even that every other time I turn the key. I thought starting amps were low on the battery, so I tried jumping it off a running car. Same thing. One click, then nothing if I try again.

What could this be? The car ran fine before with this alt, started this morning with the kg3 alt, and now won't with the one it had before and ran fine with. I'm positive that all the wires and grounds are hooked up tight and are not corroded. Is there anything else that could have gotten screwed up by simply changing the alt?

Quick Reply: Starting issue after alt swap.