General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Vats causes a slow start.. but car DOES start?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 10:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vats causes a slow start.. but car DOES start?

Hello everyone.
1998 Z28, auto.

My car always takes a few seconds to start, sometimes after it does start the security light will flash a few times, then shut off. If I turn the key to the "ON" position for a few seconds before starting, it helps it start much quicker. Other than that the car runs great.

My question is, can my vats system be acting up? I was under the impression that if vats was acting up the car would not start at all. Contemplating bypassing vats, but just want to know if I would be wasting my time. I don't see why else the security light would be flashing.

Thanks!
Old 03-30-2015, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I understand, VATS is a yes/no system. Either your car passes the correct voltage from the key to the BCM to the Theft Deterrent Module or it doesn't. If it doesn't the PCM doesn't get the "key ok" signal to enable the injectors.

Perhaps its two different issues that are both acting up at the same time? I would recommend having it tuned out.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like your fuel pressure regulator it bleeding off to much while the vehicle is off. when you turn the key to the run position it primes your fuel pump so you have enough pressure to start the vehicle. If you jump in and just crank it over it doesn't prime long enough witch can cause a long cranking start. Try priming it twice ( key-run,key-off,key-run) and if it starts much faster you can safely assume its the regulator. If you have access to a fuel pressure tester you can check it that way also. prime the system and see how fast the pressure bleeds off(it shouldn't bleed more than a couple psi in 5 min.). then Prime the system a few times in a row to check the pressure is at spec. If you prime the system and it doesn't build sufficient pressure right off the bat, then I would check my fuel filter and then my fuel pump.

Quick Reply: Vats causes a slow start.. but car DOES start?