General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Low Beam passenger headlight connector melted! '99 Trans Am A4 HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 10:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Beam passenger headlight connector melted! '99 Trans Am A4 HELP!!!

*Reposting* (I really do need the help to find this problem out.) My passenger low beam headlight went out. The old connector socket that was on previously was covered with tape by the previous owner, I took off the connector from the headlight and noticed that the connector was melted into two different pieces and the black electrical tape was holding it together.(couldn't provide any pics thinking it wasn't a big deal). A few days later, I got my new low beam headlight connector socket and plugged it in. Many hours later, I was heading home and went to a gas station to put gas.I popped open the hood to make sure everything was alright. I looked at the new low beam connector socket and it was melted on one side of the socket connector. I wired everything correctly, I checked for any blown fuses but did not find any, check for any open wires but nothing. I took off the 5 pin connector and wiggled the wires and plugged it in, and nothing. I wiggled the wires while it was plugged in hopping it would work but that didn't work either; from what I've read, my problem has something to do with a corroded wire, a ground rubbing up against another wire or possibly a ground. On my drivers side everything works (low & high beams). On the other hand, my high beam works perfectly. Just my low beam passenger is not working. I ended up buying a new connector wired it up plugged it into the headlight and it won't turn on. I left it unplugged until I figure out what the problem is. I added pictures of the melted wire so it can be looked at & discussed. Any Ideas and suggestions are helpful. '99 Trans Am A4

Thanks guys!

Last edited by LTX_Alex; 04-08-2015 at 10:23 PM.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:22 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

You might PM VIP1, one of our other moderators, and ask him if he can come in this thread. He's had the problem before: https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...aled-beam.html

This thread may also have something for you and/or may be another place to get expert eyes on this issue: https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...s-go-here.html
Old 04-10-2015, 06:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wssix99
You might PM VIP1, one of our other moderators, and ask him if he can come in this thread. He's had the problem before: https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...aled-beam.html

This thread may also have something for you and/or may be another place to get expert eyes on this issue: https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...s-go-here.html
I found he problem. It turns out the driver's side bulb I bought from autozone was completely defective. I switched the original low beam head light on the driver side, to the side I needed to turn on. Sure enough the bulb turned right on. Today, I went to exchange it for another one and my problem was fixed.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:59 PM
Save the manuals!

Sylvania bulb? Made in Mexico?
Old 04-10-2015, 08:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wssix99
Sylvania bulb? Made in Mexico?
Yes, I believe so. If I remember the part number is H4073.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:52 PM
Save the manuals!

^ Yea, we've had a number of problems with these over the last few years, including some that blow right out of the box.

I assume Sylvania had some quality issues with these for a while and they have had a ton of stock sitting on the shelves for a while. When I had my problems with them blowing out instantly, I fixed it by going to another store, with a different batch of bulbs.

Quick Reply: Low Beam passenger headlight connector melted! '99 Trans Am A4 HELP!!!