General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

PS or lower steering column issue..Help...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 09:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PS or lower steering column issue..Help...

I've recently (1 week)started having a steering problem with my 00 Camaro SS Build#3981. When I put her in gear, prior to moving, steering wheel is stiff, but as soon as you begin to move, no stiffness at all. Checked P.S. fluid, pump, pulley, rack & pinion, wheels, tires, also had local mechanic check, he says no issues. My next thought is steering column, all looks ok, except for 1 thing I noticed 2 weeks ago, while changing the oil, lower steering column under u-joint, seems to be hitting something,(header?)Today while out, my husband says steering is stiff,something doesn't feel right, we pull over pop the hood, I have him turn the wheel rt., lt, . It makes a chattering sound when fully turned, that can only be heard from the inside of car. Also when he turns the wheel, the L.column seems to very slightly move right then goes right back. So is this bad U-joints, column? Or could it also have something to do with front end suspension as well, ball joint, tie rod ect.? Has anyone else dealt with an issue like this before? Any suggestions/ opinions? Just want to get it fixed A.S.A.P, weather is finally nice, and now can't drive.

Last edited by CamoSS412; 04-28-2015 at 07:30 AM. Reason: missing word
Old 04-28-2015, 06:42 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

It could be lots of things, but if you have the original power steering pump, its probably going bad. Steering getting easier while you move points to this. If you had a mechanical problem or obstruction, you should feel that all the time.

The pump has a pressure bleed-off valve (to keep it from building too much pressure in the system) and if it starts to stick open, you will loose pressure and the steering effort will become greater.

Quick Reply: PS or lower steering column issue..Help...